You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search images in finder by Exposure Program

I have a batch of photos shot in various modes (Manual, Aperture priority, shutter priority etc..) When I search through them by exposure program, Finder doesn't see them. I've tried tinkering the search parameters to no avail. I know that the files are indexed because when I search for them by name they show up and if I search by any other parameter aside from Exposure program they show up. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Posted on Sep 8, 2022 1:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2022 3:38 PM

The following works:

Although third-party applications like the free ExifTool show the name string of the exposure mode, Apple has decided to assign an integer value instead, which if you know it is 3, then you can search for Aperture Priority AE taken images.

5 replies

Sep 8, 2022 7:57 PM in response to hasanraz

When you select an image in the Finder and press option+cmd+i, that get info panel will tell you the exposure program in text. Same story if you open the image in Preview, press cmd+i, and choose the following:

But Apple's Spotlight search, which is what you are using in that Finder cmd+F dialog, wants to be a contrarian and work from an integer value rather than plain text, and that is why you must use the example that I showed earlier with the Raw Query, or if you add Exposure Program to the list of Kind selection menu options, you can say:

Exposure program is n

where as far as I have discovered, n is among the following:

• 0 : Not Defined
  • 1 : Manual
  • 2 : Normal Program
  • 3 : Aperture Priority

There is no readily discoverable Apple documentation on the above. Either the integers end at 3 with Aperture Priority or I don't have images here that reflect other than the above.

Sep 9, 2022 8:16 AM in response to hasanraz

Is there anywhere in apples manuals or help pages that I can read more information about this?
How would one know that integers were opted for and what number is assigned to what mode.
Where does all this info live?

Spotlight Metadata Attributes is Archived, and I don't know of an active document. It lists that as a string, not a number.

Assuming there is no updated attribute list, you can see what is stored for different files with the metadata list command in Terminal,

mdls filePath

You won't see all of the options or what they are coded to, but you will see what type of data to use.

Combining that with the Info in Preview can help fill out the code table.

Sep 8, 2022 4:04 PM in response to VikingOSX

Great thanks, that answers my question. I don't think I would have just stumbled on this by tinkering.

Is there anywhere in apples manuals or help pages that I can read more information about this?

How would one know that integers were opted for and what number is assigned to what mode.

Where does all this info live?

thank you

Search images in finder by Exposure Program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.