You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine

I have an iMac 2017 running Monterey 12.5.1. I have been using a LaCie 5TB external hard drive for time machine backups and my backups were using about 1TB (I had partioned 1TB for storing files leaving 3TB free for new backups). . My internal hard drive became corrupt so I purchased a Seagate 2TB external hard drive and made it my bootable disk and transferred everything from my hard drive which was about 1TB, . I went to check on something and noticed that my LaCie (time machine) was now full with data from 8/24/21 to 9/8/2022 and using 3.8TB.

I know that is a bit confusing. My questions are as follows: 1) should I erase the LaCie and start over with Time machine? 2) How to I direct the time machine disk to backup from the bootable drive and not the internal drive (which is empty).

Thanking you in advance for guidance.

Smaxie

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 8, 2022 4:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2022 9:12 AM

First I would cancel the old existing Time Machine backup schedule. You can erase the old Time Machine backup and then create a new Time Machine backup schedule from the new external disk/OS. When you set up Time Machine you will tell it where to backup to, so there should be no problem or confusion.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 9, 2022 9:12 AM in response to smaxie

First I would cancel the old existing Time Machine backup schedule. You can erase the old Time Machine backup and then create a new Time Machine backup schedule from the new external disk/OS. When you set up Time Machine you will tell it where to backup to, so there should be no problem or confusion.

Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.