You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up my MacBook Air

I am not a technologically advanced kind of gal. Can someone please just tell me what kind of external storage device to buy so I can back up my MacBook Air? My computer only has two Thunderbolt ports so I need something that can plug into one of those. I really just need to be told what to buy and where to buy it. I'm not using my computer for super advanced stuff, I am just a regular person who needs to back up with Time Machine. I also have one of those USB 3.1 Type C to HDMI Adapters if that means anything...

MacBook Air 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 9, 2022 5:50 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2022 8:56 AM

Get an external hard drive about 2-3x the size of your internal drive, Attached it to your Mac using a USB cable. You may need a USB-A to USB-C adapter if your have only the USB-C type ports. Port type depends on what year Mac you have. USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Once attached to your Mac, use built in Time Machine to backup: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

As where to buy: Amazon, Newegg and just about any online electronics/computer equipment seller. There may be local stores such as Best Buy.

HDMI is not useful for this.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 9, 2022 8:56 AM in response to LittleBleaz

Get an external hard drive about 2-3x the size of your internal drive, Attached it to your Mac using a USB cable. You may need a USB-A to USB-C adapter if your have only the USB-C type ports. Port type depends on what year Mac you have. USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Once attached to your Mac, use built in Time Machine to backup: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

As where to buy: Amazon, Newegg and just about any online electronics/computer equipment seller. There may be local stores such as Best Buy.

HDMI is not useful for this.

Backing up my MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.