You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why has Apple got my wrong Apple ID.

I have changed my Apple ID many times yet it still gas an old ID I had 8 years ago. I cannot update because of this.

Posted on Sep 9, 2022 6:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2022 6:29 PM

A request for another Apple ID password is often caused by updates to apps/purchases that were made when using the other ID. Those purchases are tied to the other ID and can't be transferred. One option is to delete the apps/purchases made by the other ID and download them using the new ID if desired. After deleting the apps, it may be necessary to restart the device/computer before you can download the apps again. If necessary, check your purchases history to see which apps/purchases weren’t made by the current ID. 

Purchase History Review.  *

Or you can try to set up Family Sharing  between the IDs to keep access to your purchases.

Family Sharing.      

ASC YouTube for Family Sharing   

Family Sharing - Set up.        

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 9, 2022 6:29 PM in response to jltfarrell

A request for another Apple ID password is often caused by updates to apps/purchases that were made when using the other ID. Those purchases are tied to the other ID and can't be transferred. One option is to delete the apps/purchases made by the other ID and download them using the new ID if desired. After deleting the apps, it may be necessary to restart the device/computer before you can download the apps again. If necessary, check your purchases history to see which apps/purchases weren’t made by the current ID. 

Purchase History Review.  *

Or you can try to set up Family Sharing  between the IDs to keep access to your purchases.

Family Sharing.      

ASC YouTube for Family Sharing   

Family Sharing - Set up.        

Sep 9, 2022 6:32 PM in response to jltfarrell

jltfarrell wrote:

I have changed my Apple ID many times yet it still gas an old ID I had 8 years ago. I cannot update because of this.

Changing Apple IDs quite often has this outcome, yes.

Delete the old stuff associated with the unavailable Apple ID, and reload.

If it’s the iOS install, factory reset.

This does get ugly when the old device is associated with Activation Lock. If you’ve lost he ID holding the lock, you’re basically working with what is effectively a lost or stolen device, until and unless you can regain access to that Apple ID, or can provide sufficient proof to Apple to convence them you own the device.

Sep 10, 2022 10:08 AM in response to Eric Root

Thankyou Eric, for taking the time to reply. I am afraid all of this is completely beyond me. I remember I was told something like this before, some months ago. It was too much for me to contemplate. I am using a MacBook Pro with a program called Logic to record music. The program is old and I cannot update it for the reasons stated above. In the end I concluded that it would be easier for me to carry on with the old program rather than go through any of this. I use another program with Logic called Melodyne. I found out I couldn't use it without updating and therefore I am retrying to upgdate Logic. The people at Melodyne {company called Ceremony} told me I had to upgrade. This morning I found out they were wrong and I can use it with the old program. Now I will try and carry on without any updating. My other option was to buy the App Logic again for 200$US. I was considering his but still had no guarantee that it would work. Anyway thanks for trying to help. I felt I owed you a full explanation.

Sep 10, 2022 10:14 AM in response to MrHoffman

Thankyou Mr Hoffman for replying. I am afraid all this is too much for me to understand and implement. I have got an old device which somehow is as you describe. When I say somehow, clearly I did it. That is why I had to buy a new device. A Macbook Pro. The old MacBook Pro is of no use, and I will try and sell it for parts.

It is a shame but I have tried to contact Apple many times through its support page and have gone around in circles. I have even been to an Apple Centre and they couldn't help. If you look at my previous response you will see how I intend to continue. Thank again.

Why has Apple got my wrong Apple ID.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.