You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air M1- Trackpad and Keyboard freezing

Need some help! Few days back after I used to open my Mac lid from sleep, my trackpad and keyboard used to freeze and only option I had was to restart using my Touch ID button. Now, this issue has extended to the effect that this happens even while I am working after restarting the Mac and I cannot work properly. I gave it to my Apple Service Centre, they took service charge for this and did not find any issue, rather suggested me to get the Keyboard and Trackpad changed even without detecting the core issue. Please help, I am a fresher and I cannot afford to get the keyboard and trackpad replaced.

PS: Only TouchID button functions so I can login and there is no issue with the screen and neither did I face any accidental liquid damage or anything of such sort. Apple has no solution for this except for changing Hardware even without providing any reason or detecting the issue.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 9, 2022 7:35 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 11:08 PM

Issue Started happening with me too just few days back. I am reinstalling the system to see if issue persists. Its more of the software issue more than hardware thats for sure. From the other posts I have seen this issue seems to be happening with lot of users

Similar questions

6 replies

Sep 9, 2022 8:47 PM in response to TatsatBhatt

TatsatBhatt Said:

"MacBook Air M1- Trackpad and Keyboard freezing: It doesn't feel lifted up. Mac service centre checked the issue and they say there is nothing wrong inside the mac."

-------

OK. So, refer to the following...

Troubleshooting Mac TrackPad:

A. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to macOS-Installed Macs only). Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.

B. Boot into Safe Mode:

When you boot into Safe Mode, items load by default, with certain settings and caches set aside. So, hold down the shift key upon boot. See what happens then.

C. Single-Out this User:

What happens when you create a new Administrator user? do you still get this error? If not, then it it like an issue with the configurations of the current user. If so, then it is an issue of the macOS, in which case, you'd need to reinstall it.

D. Restore from a Backup:

Any recent Backups?: If you backed up your Mac prior to updating it then, restore form it. Sometimes, an update can fail due to power issues, or losing connection to Apple's servers. So, know to always back up your Mac prior to making any major changes to it, successfully as au update. In doing so, you with have something to restore store your Mac from from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade.

Sep 9, 2022 7:58 PM in response to TatsatBhatt

TatsatBhatt Said:

"MacBook Air M1- Trackpad and Keyboard freezing"

-------

Troubleshooting Trackpad and Keyboard Freezing:

Corrosion:

Does it feel lifted at all? If so, there is corrosion underneath it, and you need to get this fixed/replaced, as it is a health hazard.

For reference...

Troubleshooting Mac TrackPad:

A. Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to macOS-Installed Macs only). Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM.

B. Boot into Safe Mode:

When you boot into Safe Mode, items load by default, with certain settings and caches set aside. So, hold down the shift key upon boot. See what happens then.

C. Single-Out this User:

What happens when you create a new Administrator user? do you still get this error? If not, then it it like an issue with the configurations of the current user. If so, then it is an issue of the macOS, in which case, you'd need to reinstall it.

D. Restore from a Backup:

Any recent Backups?: If you backed up your Mac prior to updating it then, restore form it. Sometimes, an update can fail due to power issues, or losing connection to Apple's servers. So, know to always back up your Mac prior to making any major changes to it, successfully as au update. In doing so, you with have something to restore store your Mac from from, should anything go wrong with the upgrade.

MacBook Air M1- Trackpad and Keyboard freezing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.