You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Excel for Mac ‘crash?’ file “cannot be found”

I am running Mojave and Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac.

Everything works perfectly but today I opened up a spreadsheet which I use daily and I got a window which at the top said:

“Cannot find <file name removed>(version1).xlsb copy from:”

Gives the option to Cancel and then the real file (<>.xlsm) which opens seemingly without a problem.

This happens every time I now open this file.

I have restored from TimeMachine, Shutdown/Started and booted in Safe Mode but still get the same window saying “Cannot find <file name removed>(version 1).xlsb copy from:”

I copied the file to another User and it opens up perfectly OK.

I have searched for this missing file and cannot find it anywhere (including hidden files).

I suspect it is a file that is created when the system crashes and needs to be deleted. I do not believe the system has crashed etc.

Where is this missing file or is there another solution?

iMac

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 1:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 5:54 AM

OK found the cause.

It was due to a link to a cell in a none existant workbook:

(<file name removed>(version 1).xlsb)

I will call the workbook I was trying to open as Right.xlsm

In Excel Preferences/Edit selected the box “Ask to update automatic links”.

Opened Right.xlms and among other options I selected “edit link” and it popped up with a window which

confirmed this errant file was a linked workbook. Closed that window.

I then searched in the entire Right.xlsm for “(version1)” and found a single cell that referred to the file:

<filename removed>(version 1).xlsb. I amended that cell to link to the correct cell and all was fine and dandy.

Of cause the linked workbook title is normally associated with a file when Excel has unexpectedly quit without saving the open workbook.

No idea how this wrong link was created but a lesson learnt for me and hopefully for others.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 12, 2022 5:54 AM in response to Need_help_give_help

OK found the cause.

It was due to a link to a cell in a none existant workbook:

(<file name removed>(version 1).xlsb)

I will call the workbook I was trying to open as Right.xlsm

In Excel Preferences/Edit selected the box “Ask to update automatic links”.

Opened Right.xlms and among other options I selected “edit link” and it popped up with a window which

confirmed this errant file was a linked workbook. Closed that window.

I then searched in the entire Right.xlsm for “(version1)” and found a single cell that referred to the file:

<filename removed>(version 1).xlsb. I amended that cell to link to the correct cell and all was fine and dandy.

Of cause the linked workbook title is normally associated with a file when Excel has unexpectedly quit without saving the open workbook.

No idea how this wrong link was created but a lesson learnt for me and hopefully for others.

Excel for Mac ‘crash?’ file “cannot be found”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.