You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my MacBook won't let me update software?

I go settings to update my MacBook, and it says "Connect to power before continuing updates". As far as I know, I'm connected to wifi and a power source. Why can't I update it?

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 4:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 4:46 PM

Sounds like maybe the laptop is not fully recognizing the charger. Make sure you are using the correct size charger (or larger) and the lightning bolt icon is on the battery icon on the menubar.

If you are using a USB-C laptop, then make sure the charger cable is connected directly to the laptop. Some multi-port adapters, docks, and hubs may not allow the full power of the charger to reach the laptop. You may also want to try using another USB-C port especially on the other side of the laptop if possible. Also try disconnecting all external devices.

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 13, 2022 4:46 PM in response to beccapol

Sounds like maybe the laptop is not fully recognizing the charger. Make sure you are using the correct size charger (or larger) and the lightning bolt icon is on the battery icon on the menubar.

If you are using a USB-C laptop, then make sure the charger cable is connected directly to the laptop. Some multi-port adapters, docks, and hubs may not allow the full power of the charger to reach the laptop. You may also want to try using another USB-C port especially on the other side of the laptop if possible. Also try disconnecting all external devices.

Try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

Why won't my MacBook won't let me update software?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.