You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey 12.6 update - Safari 16.0 is crashing on startup. Anyone else?

I have just updated my iMac M1 to Monterey 12.6. The Software Update also updated Safari to 16.0.

Now my Safari is crashing on start-up. I tried starting Safari on Safe Mode, and Safari continues to crash on start-up.

What else can I do to resolve this issue?

_Roger

Posted on Sep 12, 2022 10:42 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 4:20 AM

So, I have reinstalled Monterey 12.6. Thereafter, I was able to use Safari 15.x.

Since the the Monterey 12.6 reinstall was so quick for me, I took the plunge and did a software update to Safari 16.0.

I am glad to report that Safari 16.0 is no longer crashing. Not sure what happened the 1st time round with the Monterey 12.6/Safari 16.0 updates.

Hopefully, others can take this route if they find their Monterey 12.6/Safari 16.0 updates resulted in Safari crashing thereafter.

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 13, 2022 4:20 AM in response to rthien

So, I have reinstalled Monterey 12.6. Thereafter, I was able to use Safari 15.x.

Since the the Monterey 12.6 reinstall was so quick for me, I took the plunge and did a software update to Safari 16.0.

I am glad to report that Safari 16.0 is no longer crashing. Not sure what happened the 1st time round with the Monterey 12.6/Safari 16.0 updates.

Hopefully, others can take this route if they find their Monterey 12.6/Safari 16.0 updates resulted in Safari crashing thereafter.

Sep 22, 2022 2:11 AM in response to Cswizzle730

I'm running into the same issue, went to monterey 12.6 a week ago, and automatic updates installed safari 16.0 two days later. Renders safari unlaunchable, crashes immediately, with the same error:

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.WebBookmarks.bookmarksCollectionQueue

Re-installed Montery, fixed the issue, but when safari was updated second time, same problem.

I have disabled auto updates for now - but what next? When will I be able to update safari?

Sep 22, 2022 8:01 AM in response to rthien

While I have not experienced any crashing or launch issues w/Safari 16, I have found that certain pages on some websites either no longer load or only partially load. I've made sure there are no ad blocker or content blocker conflicts, and all of those no-go pages load as they should with Chrome and Firefox. I guess I'll try reinstalling Safari.

Oct 3, 2022 1:53 PM in response to rthien

I have a IMAC 21.5" 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 I updated to Monterey 12.6 and Safari 16.0. Safari. After update Safari would not load. Reinstalled Monterey and Safari same problem. Reinstalled Monterey and kept Safari 15.6 all is fine. Spoke with support wioth no resolution. Ignoring Sarfari 16 update until bug. fix..

Monterey 12.6 update - Safari 16.0 is crashing on startup. Anyone else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.