You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 2019 refusing to charge

Hello

my late 2019 MacBook Pro is suddenly refusing to accept any charge from all 4 ports. I’ve tried resetting smc many times with no results.

I tried the brick by charging my phone and it works, so I thought it must be the usb c cable itself and bought a new cable and it’s still refusing to charge.

I cannot update my MacBook because it’s on like 3% battery.

what can I do?

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 7:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 11:34 AM

I have fixed the issue. My MacBook had to be physically discharged by unscrewing the back cover and unplugging the battery from the logic board. I waited about 10 minutes to be very sure it would discharge. Then I put it all back together and plugged it into a power source and it recognised it was being charged.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 16, 2022 11:34 AM in response to Agust1337

I have fixed the issue. My MacBook had to be physically discharged by unscrewing the back cover and unplugging the battery from the logic board. I waited about 10 minutes to be very sure it would discharge. Then I put it all back together and plugged it into a power source and it recognised it was being charged.

Sep 13, 2022 12:23 PM in response to Agust1337

Agust1337 wrote:

Hello
my late 2019 MacBook Pro is suddenly refusing to accept any charge from all 4 ports. I’ve tried resetting smc many times with no results.
I tried the brick by charging my phone and it works, so I thought it must be the usb c cable itself and bought a new cable and it’s still refusing to charge.
I cannot update my MacBook because it’s on like 3% battery.
what can I do?

Hmmm.

Not charging how..d̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶ ̶%̶ ̶b̶a̶t̶t̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶l̶e̶f̶t̶(̶?̶)̶ ̶ ̶I̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶s̶i̶m̶p̶l̶y̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶h̶o̶l̶d̶?̶

About battery health management in Mac notebooks intel— introduced with macOS10.15.5

About battery health management in Mac notebooks - Apple Support

—> Restarting typically re-defines port definition...alternatively you can Try resetting NVRAM/PRAM

Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support (get at least two-three rounds of the chimes when holding the NRAM Reset)

ref: If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac notebook

If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac notebook - Apple Support

If battery charging is paused or on hold on your Mac

If battery charging is paused or on hold on your Mac - Apple Support

Learn how to get your Mac desktop or Mac notebook fixed and how much it will cost.

Mac Service & Repair - Apple Support

MacBook Pro 2019 refusing to charge

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.