You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hacked bank account

My bank account was hacked a month ago from Texas. I live in utah. And they took around 2800. They purchased Apple Cash or used Apple Cash, I don’t remember, to take my funds. Are you guys going to make this right and reimburse me?

iPhone 13, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 7:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 8:27 AM

Regardless of how you feel about it, Apple is not responsible for someone illegally accessing your bank account. It doesn’t matter how they stole the funds, in terms of what account or mechanism they transferred the funds to. They could have transferred the funds to a PayPal account, but PayPal wouldn’t be responsible either. Nor would any other account provider the thief used to move funds from your bank account into their hands.

And especially if your bank dealt with it (presumably that means the reimbursed you) you’re not going to get additional reimbursement for something already rectified. If your credit card gets hacked you don’t get money bank from both the credit card issuer and the merchant(s) the card was used with.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 14, 2022 8:27 AM in response to Bnhaws

Regardless of how you feel about it, Apple is not responsible for someone illegally accessing your bank account. It doesn’t matter how they stole the funds, in terms of what account or mechanism they transferred the funds to. They could have transferred the funds to a PayPal account, but PayPal wouldn’t be responsible either. Nor would any other account provider the thief used to move funds from your bank account into their hands.

And especially if your bank dealt with it (presumably that means the reimbursed you) you’re not going to get additional reimbursement for something already rectified. If your credit card gets hacked you don’t get money bank from both the credit card issuer and the merchant(s) the card was used with.

Sep 14, 2022 8:35 AM in response to Bnhaws

We are mostly users like you, not Apple employees.

Apple doesn’t routinely monitor the discussions. These are mostly user to user discussions.

If you want to, you can send Apple feedback. They won't answer, but at least will know there is a problem or a suggestion for change. If enough people send feedback, it may get the problem/suggested change solved sooner. Pick the closest topic you can find.

Click here to send Feedback   -

Sep 14, 2022 8:26 AM in response to Bnhaws

Bnhaws wrote:

I have felt with it through my bank. But I feel like you guys should make it right on your end as well

Once again, this is a user-to-user forum. No one here owes you any money.

And Apple is not going to, on your say so, give you money. If you walked into a store and said, "Someone stole my credit card and used it here. I want you to give me my money back", the store would not give you your money. This is the same thing. You have to go through your bank.

Sep 14, 2022 8:38 AM in response to Bnhaws

A. I don’t work for Apple. Almost nobody here does. These are user forums - fellow Apple product users volunteering their knowledge to help others.

B. There is nothing Apple could do. If someone has access to your bank account and uses it via online access, no merchant has any means of knowing it’s not you using the account. The issue is between you and your bank as to how you secure access to your accounts.

C. One mechanism to deal with such theft sounds like the one you already experienced. The bank refunds your fraudulently accessed funds. Just like credit card companies don’t hold you responsible for illegal purchases on your card.

But online merchants have no way of knowing the individual human being using any given set of online credentials so if someone hacks your online account, they are using your login credentials to use it and thus appear identical to you when doing so. That’s why things like strong, unique passwords and 2 factor logins are important to protect your online accounts. Once someone has your online credentials, to any online system, they are you (until you notice the illegal use and alert the bank or financial company who issued you the account that has been hacked).

Hacked bank account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.