You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage won't delete on iPhone

When I delete an iMessage on iPhone it automatically deletes the message in my MacBook Air. On the other hand, when I delete the message from the MacBook it DOES NOT delete it in the iPhone. Both devices have the same Apple ID and password and they have both activated iCloud services. I have factory reset both devices and still the problem continues. I have also turn on and off the iCloud sync on both devices. It is something strange coming from the MacBook Air M2. Any suggestions?

Thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 10:45 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Sep 18, 2022 10:48 AM in response to danirieber

Hi there, danirieber.

You mentioned that you factory reset both devices. To confirm, that means that you erased your data, reinstalled the software, and then set your iPhone and MacBook Air up without a backup being restored, correct?

If that is correct, after all the steps you've taken, you can contact Apple Support for further assistance here: Contact Apple Support

Take care.

Sep 18, 2022 11:50 PM in response to danirieber

Typically erasing a device is the last ditch effort to resolve an issue. But when taking that step you want to test a new setup with no restored data. This will allow you to determine if the issue is related to your previous backup, and could potentially help narrow down the issue to a software bug or hardware issue.

Also do keep in mind that iMessage activation can take up to 24 - 48 hours on a device. This can take longer if anything changes on the carrier's end, such as changing your phone number, your carrier, or your device. I have heard Verizon say it can take up to a week for their systems to be caught up after certain changes.

If you haven't already I recommend the following: If you can’t turn on or sign in to iMessage or FaceTime - Apple Support. Apple support does have a few things they can check on the back end to ensure your account is functioning normally. So call apple support if these steps fail to address the issue.

Also, be aware many changes in iCloud are immediately available on all your devices, but some simply take time.

Sep 18, 2022 11:23 PM in response to claire504

Hi Claire. On MacBook Air M2 I deleted the device and then proceeded to reload macOS Monterey 12.6. On my iPhone SE3 I reinstalled the data from my last iCloud backup.

I have all the data in iCloud.

By the way, this problem started when I downloaded the iOS 16 beta and then waited for the release of the final version two Mondays ago.

Also, could this issue has something to do with iWatch being also in sync to iCloud and iMessage?

Thanks

Oct 13, 2022 8:58 AM in response to tygb

Having exactly the same issue...started with IOS16. I can delete messages from either the Mac or the iPad and both devices sync the delete perfectly. The iPhone 14 Pro retains the message without deletion. If I delete a message from the iPhone, the message is deleted from both the Mac and the iPad.

I have been in touch with Apple support and we have gone through all sorts of tests. It is now in the hands of the software engineers so I am told. Hopefully a fix is coming.

Oct 14, 2022 6:07 AM in response to SwissSt

I am also having this problem. Running latest version of OS on my Mac, iPad, and iPhone. When deleting message or conversation on iPhone, it instantly deletes on all my devices. If I delete on my Mac, it does not delete on my iPhone. At this point I'm subject to do all my deletions on my iPhone just to keep everything in sync.

iMessage won't delete on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.