You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to copy music from iPhone 13 max pro to new MacBook Pro (M1 max)

I just got a new MacBook Pro (M1 max). How do I get my music library from my phone to my new MacBook? This article (using finder) seems to be one-way only from book to phone. My phone has iCloud backup and all my pics downloaded to my new MacBook automatically. I check iCould setting on phone and didn't see an option for backing up music to iCloud...

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 11:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 11:10 AM

mckaywm wrote:

I just got a new MacBook Pro (M1 max). How do I get my music library from my phone to my new MacBook? This article (using finder) seems to be one-way only from book to phone. My phone has iCloud backup and all my pics downloaded to my new MacBook automatically. I check iCould setting on phone and didn't see an option for backing up music to iCloud...

You can only redownload purchase music.

You would need to copy your itunes libary from your old mac to yoru new mac

Back up and restore your iTunes library on your PC - Apple Support

Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community

Syncing to a "New" Computer or replacing … - Apple Community

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 14, 2022 11:10 AM in response to mckaywm

mckaywm wrote:

You can only redownload purchase music.

You would need to copy your itunes libary from your old mac to yoru new mac

Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community

Syncing to a "New" Computer or replacing … - Apple Community

Sep 14, 2022 11:17 AM in response to mckaywm

mckaywm wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply. Is there an Apple method (finder, etc) for copying from phone to Mac? I haven't found a way yet. I have found 3rd party software, but that's something else to have to buy. Any good free utilities for this?

I'll review the links provided - thanks

No free software, you would need to purchase touch copy.

Sep 14, 2022 1:32 PM in response to turingtest2

Great question tt2 - lol. I disconnected my phone and fired up the music app and all the songs were there and played. I went into finder under music, media and there is a Music Library file about 984kb (seems small). The other folders under Media look empty. I'll check out iFunBox and the article you gave. I'm fairly new to using a Mac so kind of poking around. Thanks for the info.

Sep 15, 2022 7:55 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks tt2. That article showed me how to open iFunBox. I found music files (mpg4) in the Raw File System->Purchases folder. Would this also contain files from my old CDs/DVDs that I ripped? I don't see music files anywhere else. I did find podcasts in the podcasts folder. I didn't see much under th eiTunesRestore or iTunes_Control folders.

How to copy music from iPhone 13 max pro to new MacBook Pro (M1 max)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.