You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot type accents by holding in certain apps

Macs have a function wherein you can hold a letter and it'll display various accents which you can then use. I love this feature, but it isn't working in certain apps; it works just fine on chrome and textedit for example, but doesn't work in safari and pages. Mainly the latter is a serious issue since I use accents quite a lot, so not being able to use this feature is a bit dissapointing. Does anyone know how I could fix this?

P.S. I am aware that it is possible to type certain accents using alt+e, alt+u, etc, but this is not what I want.

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 6:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 6:52 AM

Quit Pages and Safari, don't just close their window.

Launch the Terminal application, and at the prompt, type the following:

defaults read -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled

If it returns numeric 1, then it is correctly enabled, and there probably is another issue¹ why this feature is not working in your specified applications. If it returns numeric 0, then it is disabled, and you can enter the following to re-enable it.

defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled 1

¹ Boot into Safe Boot mode to clear System caches, etc. Open Pages and try the press and hold of a letter. Then reboot normally and retry the press and hold in Pages or a text input field in Safari.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 15, 2022 6:52 AM in response to randomstring--

Quit Pages and Safari, don't just close their window.

Launch the Terminal application, and at the prompt, type the following:

defaults read -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled

If it returns numeric 1, then it is correctly enabled, and there probably is another issue¹ why this feature is not working in your specified applications. If it returns numeric 0, then it is disabled, and you can enter the following to re-enable it.

defaults write -g ApplePressAndHoldEnabled 1

¹ Boot into Safe Boot mode to clear System caches, etc. Open Pages and try the press and hold of a letter. Then reboot normally and retry the press and hold in Pages or a text input field in Safari.

Cannot type accents by holding in certain apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.