You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have tried everything and my airplay is on and the wifi is the same yet my apple tv is not showing up for airplay on my iphone or macbook, I cannot get it to show up

I have tried everything and my airplay is on and the wifi is the same yet my apple tv is not showing up for airplay on my iphone or macbook, I cannot get it to show up

Apple TV 3, 8

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 10:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 9:40 PM

I’m having the same problem after updating to tvOS 16.

2 replies

Sep 16, 2022 5:24 AM in response to eparent1

What content are you trying to stream? Some content providers may not support AirPlay or block AirPlay. Some content providers may have minimum system requirements that exceed Apple TV (3rd generation).

Try the most simple test that would never be blocked on the content side of things: Mirror the home screen or desktop. If that works, then AirPlay is functional for the receiving device, and then the issue is elsewhere.

Verify that your router or access point isn’t using multiple SSID network names. That would create multiple LAN networks that cannot communicate with each other. (E.g. devices on ‘Eparent1WiFi-2.4GHz’ cannot connect to devices on ‘Eparent1WiFi-5GHz’. But if the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands are combined into one network with a single name, then they can ‘see’ each other.) (E.g. if you use Wi-Fi repeaters or multiple routers, then those similarly would need to use the same network name for local communication to work.)

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

Verify that AirPlay receiving is (still) activated on the Apple TV box in Settings﹥AirPlay﹥. If turned off, then it will ignore any AirPlay stream trying to connect. Also check the AirPlay﹥Allow Access settings, as that could block access as well.

Is the Apple TV functional for direct streaming from the apps on the device itself? If not, then AirPlay may not work for the same reasons. If so, fix that first.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.