You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disappearing tabs ipad safari

I accidentally tapped something while using safari on iPad, and suddenly I have a start page and ALL MY TABS ARE GONE. There is no history to reopen them. Why is there no warning? They just close?? It’s something random, like holding a tab too long, or I think I was trying to rearrange my tabs, and POOF they ALL evaporated. This is madness! My tab setting is manual. There should be a setting option, “ASK BEFORE CLOSING ALL TABS”. Would that be so hard?!

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 6:06 PM

1 reply

Sep 16, 2022 7:27 AM in response to rosedraws

Perhaps something here will help you:

iPadOS - Safari - Lost Windows, Lost Tabs… - Apple Community

This article was originally written for iPadOS13 - and updated for iPadOS14 - but has not been updated to cover some minor differences that have appeared in iPadOS15. With iPadOS16 around the corner, I can’t see much point in updating the article until I’ve established and understand the substantial changes that are anticipated.

A principal change within iPadOS15 is the method by which you can recover an accidentally closed Safari instance. For iPadOS15 - starting from a Home Screen with Safari visible in your iPad dock - touch-and-hold the Safari icon in the Dock; an action menu will appear.

From the menu, tap Show All Windows; a screen that appears very similar to the App Switcher will appear showing all of your currently open Safari instances. At top right of the screen, next to the “+” button, you may see a button with which to re-open recently closed Safari windows. Re-opening the recently closed windows will open the Safari instances with all of the associated tabs and tab history.

While I’ve not established how long it is possible to recover a closed Safari window, the period is finite.

disappearing tabs ipad safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.