You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exporting highlights from Books app no longer works on iOS 16 [bug report]

Up until iOS 16, users were able to select all of their highlights from any book in the books app, and email the highlights to export them.

Here's a GIF showing how it worked before: https://d33v4339jhl8k0.cloudfront.net/docs/assets/5eb8cc86042863474d1a75fd/images/5edec6ef2c7d3a10cba8978d/file-bvR8UDOFTe.gif

This seems to be no longer possible in Books in iOS 16, and it means there is absolutely no way to export your highlights anymore.

This makes the Books app dramatically less useful, and alternatives like Kindle (that do allow highlight export) a lot more appealing.

I know hundreds of people (at least) use this functionality and it's very important.

iPhone XR, iOS 15

Posted on Sep 17, 2022 12:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 16, 2023 6:48 AM

Workaround – use desktop application. Your books and highlights are synced via iCloud, so you can have them on your mac.

There you open Books app, open your book and tap on "Show highlights and notes" (left top corner).

Then you select all of them:

1. hold Shift and click on the first
  2. scroll down and hold Shift again and click on the last

They are highlighted with grey now. Now you can to drag them and drop to you favorite text editor.

I hope this helps.

72 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 16, 2023 6:48 AM in response to tohotoho

Workaround – use desktop application. Your books and highlights are synced via iCloud, so you can have them on your mac.

There you open Books app, open your book and tap on "Show highlights and notes" (left top corner).

Then you select all of them:

1. hold Shift and click on the first
  2. scroll down and hold Shift again and click on the last

They are highlighted with grey now. Now you can to drag them and drop to you favorite text editor.

I hope this helps.

Apr 26, 2023 12:14 AM in response to tohotoho

There is no workaround. I called Apple support and they told me it is impossible to downgrade back to iOS 15. My highlights and notes are forever trapped in iBooks :((

Since this tragic function loss I’ve tried a few other ebook apps, and found that Google Play Books has a fantastic feature: it saves all highlights and annotations on Google Drive in a human readable Google Docs format. It does this real time, I don’t even need to export them. It is possible to import DRM free epubs, and they are synched between all devices. Even if Google kills this feature someday, the Google Docs files will remain so this is a good archival solution.

Kudos to Google on this one!

Google 1 - Apple 0

Sep 26, 2022 8:36 AM in response to tohotoho

You can still export multiple highlights, but it takes some more work.

Tap-hold the first highlight, then tap the other highlights and they will be added to your selection. Finally swipe to the Notes app or any other that accepts dragged items, and drop your selection.

See demo here: https://cloud.apparatus.be/oOqMXl

An export function or automation via Shortcuts would of course be much easier, but for now this will have to do.

Jan 2, 2023 1:49 AM in response to tohotoho

I have been a Mac user since 1987, but for the past few years I have been amazed at Apple’s tendency to make many features of their apps worse rather than better! They try to improve some things but damage others. This is like shooting yourself on the foot!

This highlight retrieval feature was very important to serious readers, leaving it out is like making Apple devices for child play only! Are they trying hard to make people switch to other systems? This is sad!

Sep 30, 2022 5:11 AM in response to tohotoho

For Apple: I use highlights for personal and academic notes.

I find it an important part of my daily life to be able to lookup my notes from a book quickly, as this may be done multiples times over a day.

please bring back this feature. Or we will need a better open source option for reading.

also submitted feedback at https://apple.com/feedback

Oct 27, 2022 12:10 PM in response to VladimirEstragon

Yes, totally -- there's a way to remove those lines if you're comfy with terminal/grep

grep -f file_with_lines_to_remove.txt -v file_with_copied_highlights > output_file.txt

see also https://stackoverflow.com/questions/60684292/grep-approach-to-remove-all-lines-in-file-that-match-any-line-in-other-file

Yeah, "does the company still know its customer" is something I'm also wondering

Sep 25, 2022 9:14 PM in response to tohotoho

I also found that I can export highlights to email (by tapping highlight --> the arrow on the right side --> share). However, the new iOS only allows me to export a single highlight in an one-by-one manner, as opposed to all highlights as available in previous iOS versions. I also share the same opinion that the functionality of sharing all notes and highlights is essential.

Oct 19, 2022 5:20 AM in response to luongdinhkhai

I have also tested this new feature (exporting each note and highlight to iCloud Notes) many times. I found that iOS 16.0.2 (20A380) will not always pick up the highlights and notes properly. Sometimes, it picked up the highlight only and skipped the notes. This happens about 1-2 times per 10 times. It is really inconvenient to extract highlights and notes in this manner (one-by-one), instead of once-and-for-all like iOS 15.

Exporting highlights from Books app no longer works on iOS 16 [bug report]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.