You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Auto-Join Hidden Wi-Fi network

I have an iPhone 8 and recently installed iOS 16.0. My phone no longer auto-joins a hidden Wi-Fi network (it used to with previous iOS versions) and I need to manually enter the info each time. Is this because my phone is older or just a bug in iOS 16 and it will be fixed?

Thanks!

iPhone 8, 16

Posted on Sep 18, 2022 9:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 3:26 PM

I also lost the ability to auto join a hidden network when I upgraded to iOS 16. I am using an iPhone 12 and even after upgrading to iOS Version 16.0.2, still cannot auto connect to a hidden network. Really a pain to have to type in the network name and password every time. Hoping a future update fixes this problem.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 10, 2022 3:26 PM in response to JONF76

I also lost the ability to auto join a hidden network when I upgraded to iOS 16. I am using an iPhone 12 and even after upgrading to iOS Version 16.0.2, still cannot auto connect to a hidden network. Really a pain to have to type in the network name and password every time. Hoping a future update fixes this problem.

Sep 18, 2022 1:48 PM in response to JONF76

You can turn it ON in the router.

See -> Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

⤵️

Auto-Join when used with wireless carrier Wi-Fi networks

Wireless carrier Wi-Fi networks are public networks set up by your wireless carrier and their partners. Your iPhone or other Apple cellular device treats them as known networks and automatically connects to them.

If you see ”Privacy Warning” under the name of your carrier's network in Wi-Fi settings, your cellular identity could be exposed if your device were to join a malicious hotspot impersonating your carrier's Wi-Fi network. To avoid this possibility, you can prevent your iPhone or iPad from automatically rejoining your carrier’s Wi-Fi network:

1. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi.
  2. Tap  next to the wireless carrier's network.
  3. Turn off Auto-Join.

Auto-Join Hidden Wi-Fi network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.