You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some images will not display in Mail Monterey and iOS 15.6

I've already read extensively about this in other discussions and cannot find a working solution. It seems iOS 15.6 and Monterey has taken away our ability to decide if we want to view an image. I signed an online waiver to a park and a QR Code was emailed to me. This QR code will show in Thunderbird (that I sometimes use) but will NOT show in Apple Mail. Not my phone or computer. On my phone I've gone to Settings > Mail > Privacy Protection and turned off "Protect Mail Activity" and turned off "Block All Remote Content" and then restarted my phone. Still doesn't show. On my computer I went to Preferences > Privacy ... and done the same as above.

There are now buttons on the email message to load images or remote content. There was no notice that images were blocked or anything like that. It's like, if Apple decided not to show an image, who am to question. Well that's just frustrating. I'm a big boy :)

Am I missing something? A secret hard to find button to allow images to load for a specific email message? That would be amazing!! As I said, since it works in another email program, I know the email contains the image and that it should be able to be viewed.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 20, 2022 9:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 10:57 AM

You only have 15 minutes to edit a post.

What happens when you have "Protect Mail Activity" enabled is the remote request for the image is routed through a couple of anonymous relays such that the source doesn't know your IP address requested the file. I imagine it is possible the remote host can reject a multi-rely request, but I'm not sure.

If you have "Protect Mail Activity" enabled, but your network doesn't support the capability, Mail will not load any remote content, but should put up a button to load the remote content.

To get remote content to always show, you must disable all checkboxes in Mail Preferences > Privacy.

IP Private Relay (beta) somehow interacts with this and others have pointed out they must disable that to get remote content in Mail.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 21, 2022 10:57 AM in response to Astonished Man

You only have 15 minutes to edit a post.

What happens when you have "Protect Mail Activity" enabled is the remote request for the image is routed through a couple of anonymous relays such that the source doesn't know your IP address requested the file. I imagine it is possible the remote host can reject a multi-rely request, but I'm not sure.

If you have "Protect Mail Activity" enabled, but your network doesn't support the capability, Mail will not load any remote content, but should put up a button to load the remote content.

To get remote content to always show, you must disable all checkboxes in Mail Preferences > Privacy.

IP Private Relay (beta) somehow interacts with this and others have pointed out they must disable that to get remote content in Mail.

Sep 21, 2022 7:24 AM in response to Astonished Man

I'm confused by your description of whether it was resolved by disabling loading remote content or not.

If you set it up to use Mail Privacy (double-relay), and the image doesn't load, that's likely because the provider is preventing loading through the double-relay.

If you disable Mail Privacy, and you can load the remote content with the button, then the above would be my guess as to what is happening.

I can't tell from your description if you disabled Mail Privacy and then were able to load remote content with the button.

Sep 21, 2022 7:31 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you for your response. It is not working after making those changes. I noticed a typo after submitting and apparently there is no way to edit a question after sending. The sentence "There are now buttons" should have said, "no buttons"

So after all the things I described above that I tried, images in some emails still do not show. I do have a few that do show images and I do not know why some show and some don't. I'm looking for a "show images" button or something like that to reveal remote content in messages that Mail has hidden the image for some reason. They are cases that I know and trust the source and need to see the image.

Some images will not display in Mail Monterey and iOS 15.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.