You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV update requires iPhone

I cannot complete Apple TV update because it requires my iPhone w OS 16 and my iPhone SE is a 14

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 12:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 3:28 PM

Do you mean the TV app on your iPhone? The Apple TV app version will always match the OS version, for being bundled software. The 2016 iPhone SE (1st generation) can be updated to iOS 15.7.

Or do you mean the Apple TV app on a third party device? iPhone is optional, not mandatory.

Or do you mean updating the system software on an Apple TV box? iPhone is optional, not mandatory.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 22, 2022 3:28 PM in response to burna33

Do you mean the TV app on your iPhone? The Apple TV app version will always match the OS version, for being bundled software. The 2016 iPhone SE (1st generation) can be updated to iOS 15.7.

Or do you mean the Apple TV app on a third party device? iPhone is optional, not mandatory.

Or do you mean updating the system software on an Apple TV box? iPhone is optional, not mandatory.

Sep 23, 2022 1:02 AM in response to burna33

I see. It seems that two-factor authentication is halting you. Two-factor authentication requires iOS 9 or later (≈iPhone 4S or later), so your phone’s age shouldn’t be the issue by a long stretch. TFA does require the matching Apple ID account on the secondary device. It won’t work for different accounts.

You may request a new fresh verification code at any time from Settings on your iPhone, or any other trusted device for this Apple ID account.

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication - Apple Support

Sep 23, 2022 1:11 AM in response to burna33

… wants me to update my Apple ID

Is that the exact message text? I have never heard of something similar mentioned before, except for new accounts that were incomplete or unverified.

If I misinterpreted or if the issue persist, then I would suggest to contact an expert from the Apple Support staff for further assistance. Contact Apple for support and service (phone numbers) or start your support request online (chat/​email/​callback).

Sep 23, 2022 3:05 PM in response to burna33

Apple TV HD (4th generation) should ask when it wants the verification code.

Older models Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation) may need a special procedure – if the model applies to you.

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Else I would suggest to contact an expert from the Apple Support staff for further assistance. Contact Apple for support and service (phone numbers) or start your support request online (chat/​email/​callback).

Sep 22, 2022 8:35 PM in response to burna33

Looking around at what others are experiencing I have a similar problem: Apple TV (HD) was updated and now it wants me to update my Apple ID. BUT it insists that I put my iPhone near the Apple TV device so that I can be sent a code. My iPhone SE is not receiving a code. There appears to be no other recourse in getting that code. I do have an outdated iPhone OS but the Apple TV is os16. Something is going wrong at Apple.

Sep 23, 2022 10:35 AM in response to Urquhart1244

I have had 2-factor authentication on all along. I can get from my iPhone the code as you directed but have no where to write in the code. The Apple TV device (demanding that put my iPhone next to it) does not go to a next screen and on my iPhone where I see the Apple TV device there is no place to enter the code. The only listed device (of my 2 Macs and iPhone and Apple TV) that is a "trusted" device is the iPhone.

I post nothing to iCloud, but I guess I'm on it whether I want it or not for my files, because the devices are all seen.

Where can I enter the code to update the Apple TV if the screen won't progress?

Apple TV update requires iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.