You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After clean install of macOS Moneterey storage is full

Hi all,

A few days ago I attempted a clean install of macOS Monterey on my MacBook Pro M1:

1. I did a backup in Time Machine
  2. Restarted MacBook in recover mode
  3. Erased hard drive (both OS and user partitions)
  4. Proceeded with Monterey installation

Everything seemed well until the next day I discovered that all of the available storage was taken by the System Data. Too bizarre, knowing I erased all partitions and at the beginning of installation 494Gb were available. During the installation I used only default options...

Has anyone had the same problem and knows the possible reason?

Thanks

Posted on Sep 25, 2022 12:27 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2022 2:04 AM

Obviously something when incorrectly.

This is the Method from Apple is suggested to perform this Erasure

Use Disk Utility to erase a Mac with Apple silicon

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 25, 2022 7:12 PM in response to PRP_53

Hi P.Phillips,

Thanks for your response!

Yes, it is obvious, isn't it?

Unfortunately, it’s not so obvious what exactly went wrong.

I did everything “by the book” according to the link you have provided and yet I had such a problem.

Nevertheless, I decided to redo installation once again and the only thing I did right away as installation was completed - I unchecked / disabled iCloud Drive. And in the end I don't have my storage filled up.

I suppose it was iCloud trying to sync and download all the data to my mac that took all the available space. Still not sure how, as I’m on 200Gb plan and don’t hold more than 150 Gb there, so it's a mystery how that transformed into 490 Gb. Maybe some simultaneous background downloads were not properly completed and looped until it couldn't move anywhere further as no space was available.

I will try to reconnect Cloud Drive later to see what happens. But for now it's a main suspect.

Sep 26, 2022 1:47 AM in response to _cloud

iCloud was and is designed as a Conduit to have copies if your files in iCloud and copies on the Internal Drive of the computer.

The copies on the Internal Drive are for when Internet Connection are Not Available - the user can continue to work on the files.

Once an Internet Connection is established, the changes are uploaded back into iCloud.

iCloud is not intended to be used as Extra Storage to make Space on the Internal Drive.

That specific purpose is best assigned to some other Cloud Based Storage Service and / or and good and reliable External Drive

Sep 26, 2022 3:34 AM in response to _cloud

Based upon the earlier statements " I suppose it was iCloud trying to sync and download all the data to my Mac " it would be reasonable to infer, the use was not sure of some matters and thus the reply that ensued .

As for " I bet everyone who uses iCloud and is able to reinstall macOS, knows what iCloud is and how it works. " this issue is specific to this computer.

When a person has been on these Apple Support Community Forums as long as I have, it is not surprising the number of Users who think iCloud is equal to and External Drive and used for Archive Purposes

But since the User ( you ) find the information unhelpful - I will cease to take up any more of your time.

You are welcome for the free advise and tips on how resolve this computer issue.

The suggestions have been put forth on a volunteer basis, in good faith and in the best interests of the computer.

After clean install of macOS Moneterey storage is full

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.