You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HP Printer error - In use but it is not

HP printer says it is "In use" but it is not. Printed fine a couple of days ago but nothing works: iPhone, iPad, iMac NOTHING works. deleted printer and reinstalled SEVERAL times. Still same error.

Posted on Sep 26, 2022 12:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2022 1:46 PM

Hi,

Any information about the exact HP printer model?

If it is an AirPrint printer, and all settings are OK, you could try the following full procedure (in this order):

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the iPhone, the iPad, the iMac, and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the iPhone, the iPad, and the iMac. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

Use AirPrint to print from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 26, 2022 1:46 PM in response to Cerridwyn

Hi,

Any information about the exact HP printer model?

If it is an AirPrint printer, and all settings are OK, you could try the following full procedure (in this order):

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the iPhone, the iPad, the iMac, and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the iPhone, the iPad, and the iMac. Finally, power on all other devices/computers.

Use AirPrint to print from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Sep 26, 2022 1:57 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

It is an HP Office Jet Pro 8030 series

1. Turned printer off
  2. Reset router
  3. Deleted printer from iMac
  4. Restarted computer
  5. Turned printer on
  6. Connected printer to my WiFi
  7. Added printer to computer

Did all the above TWICE no help. Two days ago I could print from my iPhone, iPad or iMac without any issue. Today even doing all these things twice it fails to do anything from iPhone, iPad or iMac. Looking at documents waiting to print they are in queue from any/all sources but it shows as printer is in use.

<sigh> spent time to find my USB cable. decided to try once more so did all the above a THRID time. Works. Maybe it was threatened by the presence of a cable. SERIOUS waste of time but I guess I should rejoice that it works.

HP Printer error - In use but it is not

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.