You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer driver for Canon MP210 now I'm using Monterey

Hello hive,

I have recently upgraded from an ancient MacBook pro to a new MacBook Air and my printer driver won't work for my Canon MP210. I had to upgrade it once before from a helpful independent provider but can't find how to get it working now I am all new and shiny and running OS Monterey.

Can anyone help? I am reasonably capable at downloading and installing stuff but can get lost if the language is too technical. Thanks.

Laura

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 8:31 AM

3 replies

Sep 28, 2022 10:27 AM in response to ladybirdathome

Hi,

The Canon support sites show an MP210 series CUPS Printer Driver Ver. 10.67.2.0 (OS X 10.5/10.6/10.7/10.8) for OS X Mountain Lion 10.8. It may or may not work with a few newer operating system versions, but one should not expect to use it with macOS 12 Monterey. But you never know.

https://www.usa.canon.com/support/p/pixma-mp210#DOWNLOADS

https://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/inkjet/pixma_mp_series/pixma_mp210.html?type=drivers&language=en&os=os%20x%2010.8%20(mountain%20lion)

There is a Canon Printer Drivers v3.4 for macOS download from Apple . Printer drivers for some other Canon MP models are listed in the referenced article Printer and scanner drivers for Mac - Apple Support. According to the system requirements, macOS 12 is not compatible. Any use would be entirely experimental. It may not even open/install.

An experimental Gutenprint MP210 driver exists. Whether this driver works with macOS 12 Monterey is unknown. The normal recommendation is to download drivers from a printer manufacturer, or from Apple. Downloads from other sources would be at your own risk.

Resetting the printing system (link below) may be needed between tests. Whatever you do, make sure that you have backup copies of all important files before testing anything. Software conflicts can never be ruled out.

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Sep 30, 2022 5:55 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hello and thanks for this. I have tried Canon and other sites but the available drivers to not work with Monterey. I used Gutenprint before to get it working when I was using High Sierra but it does not want to work with Monterey. Luckily I have an older desktop that will still run the printer and I will hope Gutenprint produce an update driver.

Sep 30, 2022 12:56 PM in response to ladybirdathome

Thank you for the report.

If you still have the High Sierra MacBook Pro, or if the old desktop computer is running Mac OS X 10.7 Lion or higher, you could perhaps extend the printer for iPhone and iPad use through a special Mac app like Printopia (https://www.decisivetactics.com/products/printopia/). The idea is to connect the printer to the old Mac by USB, and then let that Mac (connected to a network) act as a print server. The experimentally inclined could possibly even test whether a Monterey Mac would be able to find the printer on the network. . .

Printer driver for Canon MP210 now I'm using Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.