You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri stopped working after iOS 16 update

Siri stopped working completely after iOS 16 update

iPhone 12 mini

Posted on Sep 28, 2022 1:24 PM

3 replies

Sep 30, 2022 9:33 AM in response to SteveMorrison

Hello SteveMorrison,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We have a handy article here that will help to get this resolved. Check this out:

Hey sahand162,

The following steps from the resource you came from can help:

1. Go to Settings.
2. Tap Siri & Search.
3. Tap Siri Responses. 
4. Tap Prefer Spoken Responses to hear Siri speak responses, even when Silent mode is turned on.

If "Hey Siri" isn't working on your iPhone

We hope this information is useful. Kind regards.

Sep 30, 2022 9:51 AM in response to barberlives123

I checked the Siri settings right away. They were all unchanged from before the iOS 16 update, yet Siri no longer worked.

As I noted earlier, when I made a request, Siri waited a few seconds, then said, “On it.” Then after a few more seconds, said something else about still working on it. Then the process failed completely, displaying (not speaking) an error message. I got the same responses whether I asked Siri to make a call or to tell me the time of day. Siri was broken.

I finally resolved the issue by making an iCloud backup, then doing a complete reset, wiping everything as though I were switching phones. After going through THAT ordeal (which included also resetting my Apple Watch), Siri began to work normally again. And it still works normally days later.

Siri stopped working after iOS 16 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.