You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB Hub of LG 32UN880 not working using USB-C upstream from Mac Studio

The USB-A ports at the back of the LG 32UN880 monitor are not working when I plug the monitor in via USB-C at the back of the Mac Studio. Somehow there's no power going to the hub.

But the monitor hub works when I plug the same USB-C cable to my 16" Intel MacBook Pro.

I don't have issues on the display, just the USB hub not working.

Anyone can shed light why is this happening?

Mac Studio, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 11:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 3:55 PM

Sorry about that. Anyway, the USB-C cable I'm using is the stock cable that came along with the LG monitor - plugged at the Thunderbolt 4 port at the back of the Mac Studio to the USB-C upstream port at the back of the monitor.

I now know that cable won't deliver enough juice to power my external webcam which is plugged in the USB-A port at the back of the monitor. So I just ordered a Thunderbolt 4 cable and test if that 100W PD feature of it can help with the situation.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 29, 2022 3:55 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Sorry about that. Anyway, the USB-C cable I'm using is the stock cable that came along with the LG monitor - plugged at the Thunderbolt 4 port at the back of the Mac Studio to the USB-C upstream port at the back of the monitor.

I now know that cable won't deliver enough juice to power my external webcam which is plugged in the USB-A port at the back of the monitor. So I just ordered a Thunderbolt 4 cable and test if that 100W PD feature of it can help with the situation.

Sep 29, 2022 3:22 PM in response to XyNo

you description is too confusing, as there are multiple devices being plugged in multiple places, and many different hubs, both inside and outisde of other devices could be involved.

Please provide a MUCH more crisp description of EXACTLY what is plugged into what using EXACTLY which cables in the case of does work, and what is plugged into what with which cables when it does not work.

--------

Without understanding, my knee jerk reaction is that you have assumed that the USB cable that ships in the box with a Mac is good for anything other than charging. Be assured that cable is a charge-ONLY cable, and can not run any data except a keyboard.If I were King, I would paint it orange so as not to mistake it for a 'real' cable.

USB Hub of LG 32UN880 not working using USB-C upstream from Mac Studio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.