You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppStore

why Can’t I download free apps on AppStore without paying?

iPhone X, iOS 14

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 9:34 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2022 9:47 AM

Are you actually seeing a charge for a free app? Or are you questioning why you have to have a credit card on file in order to download apps? If your question is the second, the reasoning is this - many free apps are only free for a limited time, then there is a charge. Also, many free apps have purchasing abilities within the app so Apple’s policy is that you must have a credit card on file if you want to download apps.

You can read the Apple Recommended answer in this discussion:

Why do I need a credit card to download a… - Apple Community

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 1, 2022 9:47 AM in response to ajibola25

Are you actually seeing a charge for a free app? Or are you questioning why you have to have a credit card on file in order to download apps? If your question is the second, the reasoning is this - many free apps are only free for a limited time, then there is a charge. Also, many free apps have purchasing abilities within the app so Apple’s policy is that you must have a credit card on file if you want to download apps.

You can read the Apple Recommended answer in this discussion:

Why do I need a credit card to download a… - Apple Community

AppStore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.