You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail app will not save changes to outgoing mail servers.

This morning I got the outgoing mail server error for a gmail account. I went in to verify the info but all Outgoing mail servers are not populating in the edit list menu and when I add 1 it will not save the data I input. I restarted iMac and was able to send and receive from all of my email accounts. Went back into the edit server list menu to see what was there and still none of the outgoing servers were there and had same problem with it not saving the info. Not sure what to do.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 9:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 9:28 AM

N1nja5 wrote:

This morning I got the outgoing mail server error for a gmail account. I went in to verify the info but all Outgoing mail servers are not populating in the edit list menu and when I add 1 it will not save the data I input. I restarted iMac and was able to send and receive from all of my email accounts. Went back into the edit server list menu to see what was there and still none of the outgoing servers were there and had same problem with it not saving the info. Not sure what to do.

for problem accounts— delete the account and add it back in

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Add email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Note—

IMAP accounts stay on the server, so no local loss, when you re-sync

POP accounts download and remove from the server—therefor save your inbox/sent box if you want them

On My Mac" is just that, local folders you created and moved mail into. So no loss

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 3, 2022 9:28 AM in response to N1nja5

N1nja5 wrote:

for problem accounts— delete the account and add it back in

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac

Remove email accounts in Mail on Mac - Apple Support

Note—

IMAP accounts stay on the server, so no local loss, when you re-sync

POP accounts download and remove from the server—therefor save your inbox/sent box if you want them

On My Mac" is just that, local folders you created and moved mail into. So no loss

Mail app will not save changes to outgoing mail servers.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.