You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I edit a PDF document

How do I edit a PDF document?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 3, 2022 12:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 9:40 AM

Helpful, but I still have the question.

3 replies

Oct 3, 2022 2:13 PM in response to CMGallegos

You purchase a PDF Editor, as Apple does not include a PDF editor in macOS. There are some in the Mac App Store. An editor because you want to change the underlying text or want to add images to a PDF. If all you want to do is mark up an existing PDF with annotations, then Apple's Preview or Adobe's Acrobat Reader DC can do that.

Pages cannot open PDFs and will only display the first page of a dropped, multiple-page PDF as a Pages document object.

If you have MS Word v16.31 or later, it will open a PDF and offer to convert it to a Word document. You can make editing changes to that Word document and then save it again as a different PDF.

Oct 4, 2022 11:48 AM in response to CMGallegos

How do I edit a PDF document?

PDF documents are not internally organized like a word processing document and if you want to edit one, it requires specialized application software that can open the PDF, and permit you to alter or add to the orginal PDF content. Or, you have the source material that originally created the PDF, apply the changes in that open word processing document, and then save or export to PDF again. If the PDF was scanned, then although it is a PDF, what you see is an image, and you will need optical character recognition (OCR) to extract the text from the image. A competent PDF editor application can do this too.

Re-read my previous post as there is no other explanation of how you go about "editing" a PDF document.

How do I edit a PDF document

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.