You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable inline attachment preview when viewing emails in the mail app

I've seen several solutions about how to disable inline attachment preview when composing a new email (link) and discussion about whether it's possible to disable that for viewing emails (link). People say it's not under the control of the mail app, but why is it showing the preview inline even if I send the attachments as legit and real files to myself? Super weird design.

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 4, 2022 10:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2022 6:05 PM

Mail always shows images and single-page PDFs inline. I like seeing what I'm sending, and I certainly don't want to have to open some other app to view what other people send me. Seems rational to me.

Right, but some people don't feel that way. Privacy - I don't want the photos and one-page pdfs to be shown directly when others are also viewing my screen; elegancy - mixed tiny texts and giant pictures look ugly to me; clarity - is it an inline photo or is it actually a file; ... I could name these reasons in five minutes. Apple should let the user decide which viewing setup to use, especially when the inline preview is not a common practice in the field.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 5, 2022 6:05 PM in response to Barney-15E

Mail always shows images and single-page PDFs inline. I like seeing what I'm sending, and I certainly don't want to have to open some other app to view what other people send me. Seems rational to me.

Right, but some people don't feel that way. Privacy - I don't want the photos and one-page pdfs to be shown directly when others are also viewing my screen; elegancy - mixed tiny texts and giant pictures look ugly to me; clarity - is it an inline photo or is it actually a file; ... I could name these reasons in five minutes. Apple should let the user decide which viewing setup to use, especially when the inline preview is not a common practice in the field.

Oct 5, 2022 4:37 AM in response to charlottee_

charlottee_ wrote:

I've seen several solutions about how to disable inline attachment preview when composing a new email (link) and discussion about whether it's possible to disable that for viewing emails (link). People say it's not under the control of the mail app, but why is it showing the preview inline even if I send the attachments as legit and real files to myself? Super weird design.

See if this ref works for you—

Here is how to disable inline attachment … - Apple Community

Oct 5, 2022 5:43 PM in response to charlottee_

People say it's not under the control of the mail app,

What they mean, or should mean, is you have no control over what the recipient's email client does.

Oct 5, 2022 6:21 PM in response to charlottee_

Right, but some people don't feel that way. Privacy - I don't want the photos and one-page pdfs to be shown directly when others are also viewing my screen

Close the preview pane.

elegancy - mixed tiny texts and giant pictures look ugly to me;

Then don't mix them. It's not required.

clarity - is it an inline photo or is it actually a file;

There is no difference.

... I could name these reasons in five minutes. Apple should let the user decide which viewing setup to use, especially when the inline preview is not a common practice in the field.

None of those matter to me, but are easily overcome.

They probably don't matter to many others, either as Apple has never changed it.

They normally don't offer many options.

Use another email client.

How to disable inline attachment preview when viewing emails in the mail app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.