You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Creating a backup disk from a wiped hard drive

I have a new MacBook Air running OS Monterey 12.6. I have wiped all data from my old Mac Mini hard drive and am trying to use the Mini as my external backup disk. Can you tell me how to establish a matching OS (12.6) on this empty disk? I have connected it to my MB Air and mounted it, but it has absolutely nothing on it since I did a multi-wipe using Disk Utility with many passes.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 11:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2022 4:22 PM

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

It would be better to attach an external drive to the Mini and back up to that over the network.

Back up to a shared folder with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

If you really want to use the internal startup volume on the Mini as your backup drive, it might be best to create a new Volume on that drive using Disk Utility. Share that out as the backup destination as per instructions above.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 6, 2022 4:22 PM in response to lee annfromwoodland

How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

It would be better to attach an external drive to the Mini and back up to that over the network.

Back up to a shared folder with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

If you really want to use the internal startup volume on the Mini as your backup drive, it might be best to create a new Volume on that drive using Disk Utility. Share that out as the backup destination as per instructions above.

Creating a backup disk from a wiped hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.