You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Magic Keyboard for the iPad Air - 11 inch

I am considering purchasing an Magic Keyboard for my iPad Air (4th generation)

Here is my question:

From what I understand there was a new magic keyboard for the iPad Air 4th generation that came out in 2021. I believe that was the 2nd generation of the magic keyboard. Then in 2022 there was a new version of the magic keyboard (3rd generation) that came out and is compatible with both the 4th generation and 5th generation iPad Air.

Can anyone tell me if there were were any upgrades of significate differences from the the magic keyboard 2021 (second gen) to the latest version 2022 (3rd gen)?

Maybe there is no 3rd generation in 2022. Maybe they just adapted the 2nd gen (2021) keyboard to also fit the iPad Air 5th gen with no real upgrades. Maybe there is only a 2nd generation.

If anyone has any insights - please let me know.

Posted on Oct 8, 2022 1:23 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 7:55 AM

Functionally, there is no difference between the older and more recent versions.

The changes made to the Magic Keyboard for iPad are physical - being made to accommodate the physically larger rear camera array of the newer models of iPad. With a larger camera opening, the new versions of the Magic Keyboard will also easily accommodate the smaller camera array of older model compatible iPads.

It follows that the older model Magic Keyboard for,iPad, with the smaller camera opening, cannot accommodate the physically larger cameras of the more recent models of iPad.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 10, 2022 7:55 AM in response to pate_22

Functionally, there is no difference between the older and more recent versions.

The changes made to the Magic Keyboard for iPad are physical - being made to accommodate the physically larger rear camera array of the newer models of iPad. With a larger camera opening, the new versions of the Magic Keyboard will also easily accommodate the smaller camera array of older model compatible iPads.

It follows that the older model Magic Keyboard for,iPad, with the smaller camera opening, cannot accommodate the physically larger cameras of the more recent models of iPad.

Oct 10, 2022 7:48 AM in response to pate_22

Hey there, pate_22!

Thanks so much for using Apple Support Communities.

It is definitely important that you get the best product for your needs to use with your iPad Air. We'd like to share some information that we hope will be helpful to you.

As of right now, the only Magic Keyboard model that Apple sells that is compatible with the iPad Air (4th Generation) is the one featured here: Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro 11-inch (3rd generation) and iPad Air (5th generation) - US English - Black - Apple Please note that while it says 5th Generation, if you scroll down a bit you can see that it is indeed compatible with the 4th Generation model as well.

It doesn't look like there are specification sheets available for older models, but you may be able to find that information online.

For further questions, we'd recommend that you contact Apple directly to speak with an online store representative who will be able to go over these options in further detail. You can reach out here: Apple Support

We hope that this information is helpful.

​Have a great day!

Oct 10, 2022 7:58 AM in response to nathan430

Nathan,

Thank you for trying to answer the question but it really was not helpful. Can anyone tell me when the lastest Magic Keyboard came out? I don't understand why this is so difficult. I can find out the difference between an iphone 11, 12, 13, and 14. How many different models of the Magic Keyboard are there - 1,2 or 3. What are the differences? How is the most current keyboard for the 11in difference from the previous model? Where there any added new features? The answer cannot be that hard. Surely, someone in your company knows. I spent over any hour on support being bounced around yesterday with no luck.

Apple Magic Keyboard for the iPad Air - 11 inch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.