You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to avoid using hard drive for music?

Hi I have lots of live concerts that were officially released by the artist (via Nugs) and bought as mp3s. These are artist sanctioned but not released on Apple Music/Spotify.

I have just bought a new MBA and didn't want to store all the gigs on it as I don't want use up all my hard drive space as I've only got 250GB.

I would ideally like to store all the music files on my 2TB iCloud Drive and for the Music app to take the music from iCloud when I'm online. However, when I tried doing this, it seems that it makes a copy of any songs on the hard drive so it rather defeats the object. Has anyone got a solution to this or a better idea?

Thanks!

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 3:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2022 5:56 PM

You could backup the files on an external drive for security, then take out a subscription to Apple Music or iTunes Match. Once your files have been matched or uploaded you can right-click > Remove Download to free up local storage and you will still be able to stream those tracks from the cloud.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply

Best way to avoid using hard drive for music?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.