You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

To access all your photos, update this Mac to the latest version of macOS - Running Monterey 12.6

While using photos on my Mac mini, I'm getting a warning above at the bottom of the photos app. What is don't understand it that I'm running the latest version of Mac OS (Monterey 12.6). I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure this started as soon as I enabled the Share Album feature from my iPhone running 16.0.

Also, when I click on the link (Learn More) from the warning, it brings me to an invalid page on the Apple site.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Mac mini, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 10:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 2:33 PM

Hello Scott_Fitz,

First, you'll want to back up your photo library to make sure all is safe and sound. You're able to do this using Time Machine, iCloud, or a third-party backup method: How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support

Then complete the following steps to see if they help to resolve this issue:

"Create a new Photos library and see if your issues persist:

1. Quit Photos.
  2. Press and hold the Option key while you open Photos.
  3. In the dialog that appears, click Create New.
  4. Give your new library a name, then click OK. Note whether Photos opens successfully with this new library.

To return to your main Photos library, quit Photos. Then open it again while holding the Option key, select your main library, and click Choose Library.

Alternatively, you can open Photos in another user account on your Mac and note whether Photos opens successfully.

If Photos opens with the new library, or in a different user account, it might mean that there's an issue with your library. Follow the steps to use the Photos library repair tool on your main Photos library."

The above steps and more can be found here: Get help with the Photos app on your Mac - Apple Support

Keep us posted.

Take care.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 11, 2022 2:33 PM in response to Scott_Fitz

Hello Scott_Fitz,

First, you'll want to back up your photo library to make sure all is safe and sound. You're able to do this using Time Machine, iCloud, or a third-party backup method: How to back up your Mac - Official Apple Support

Then complete the following steps to see if they help to resolve this issue:

"Create a new Photos library and see if your issues persist:

1. Quit Photos.
  2. Press and hold the Option key while you open Photos.
  3. In the dialog that appears, click Create New.
  4. Give your new library a name, then click OK. Note whether Photos opens successfully with this new library.

To return to your main Photos library, quit Photos. Then open it again while holding the Option key, select your main library, and click Choose Library.

Alternatively, you can open Photos in another user account on your Mac and note whether Photos opens successfully.

If Photos opens with the new library, or in a different user account, it might mean that there's an issue with your library. Follow the steps to use the Photos library repair tool on your main Photos library."

The above steps and more can be found here: Get help with the Photos app on your Mac - Apple Support

Keep us posted.

Take care.

Oct 12, 2022 6:43 PM in response to TammyW_03

Thanks for the reply Tammy. I was able to to do all of those things without any errors. The one exception was as soon as I enabled iCloud on the library, the error would reappear which made me realize it wasn't an issue with my local library, but something on the cloud side.

I sort of suspected this from the beginning, but it seems that turning off/deleting the shared library I had created from my iPhone (new IOS 16 feature) solved the issue. I would eventually like to use that feature, but maybe I'll just wait a bit.

Thanks again.

Oct 17, 2022 10:30 PM in response to Scott_Fitz

It is not an error, it is behaving as intended. You can enable the shared library on your iPhone, but do not automatically move your photos into the shared library, when you enable the shared library. The problem is, that the photos you add to your shared library are removed from your personal library, so you will not have duplicates across the shared library and your personal iCloud library. And then you cannot see the shared photos any longer at www.icloud.com or on a Mac with Monterey or older or on an iPad with iPadOS 15. Add only selected photos to the shared library, that you do not need in your personal iCloud Photos Library on devices with an older system. I am duplicating the photos I add to the shared library, so a copy will remain in my personal library, when I share them. I prefer to keep my personal iCloud Photos Library unchanged, when I share my best photos in the shared photos library, so I am sharing only duplicates.

To access all your photos, update this Mac to the latest version of macOS - Running Monterey 12.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.