You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I download photos from iMessages to Photos?

I receive photos in iMessages. How do I download them to my Photos, which is on the same machine? the instruction guide I received says,

"In macOS Monterey, you can also see these items in the Shared with You section of the corresponding app. For example, photos and videos you receive automatically appear in the Shared with You section of the Photos app,..."

I find no "Shared with You" section in my Photos.

I am running Monterey, 12.6 & Photos 7.0 & Messages 14.0

Mac Pro, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 10, 2022 1:54 PM

4 replies

Oct 11, 2022 5:01 PM in response to Metal_bender

Hello Metal_bender,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with Shared With You on Mac. Follow the steps listed here to resolve the issue: View photos shared with you in Photos on Mac - Apple Support

"When friends in your contacts use the Messages app to send you photos that you are in (or that were taken at a location where you were present), the photos appear automatically in your library and in the Shared with You album. You can select a shared photo and view who sent it to you—and even reply directly to them in Messages.

Important: Photos must be selected in Shared with You preferences in Messages, and your friends must be in your contacts. See Keep track of shared content in Messages.

1. In the Photos app  on your Mac, click Shared with You in the sidebar.
  2. The photos shared with you appear in the Shared with You album and in your library with other photos of you taken on that date or at that location.
  3. Do any of the following:
  • See who shared a photo with you: Select the photo and click the Info button  in the toolbar. The sender appears at the bottom of the Info window.
    • A photo of a person, with the Info window showing the sender’s email address at the bottom.
    • Send a message to the sender: Select the photo, open the Info window, then click the Reply button  next to the sender and type your response in Messages.

Tip: When viewing your library of photos, you can display your photos and shared photos or just your photos. Choose View > Your Photos Only or Yours & Shared.

See also

Browse your photos in Photos on Mac

What are shared albums in Photos on Mac?

Use Messages and Mail to share photos from Photos on Mac"

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Oct 11, 2022 7:58 PM in response to Metal_bender

Control-click on the photo in the message and then click on Add to Photos Library from the pop up menu.

Another way is to open the message containing the photo, and then select the photo and do Edit/Copy. Then open your photos library and do Edit/Paste.

Or, you can Option-drag the photo from the message into your Photos library. Or to your desk and then into your Photos library.

-- Rich

How do I download photos from iMessages to Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.