You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove iPhone's activation lock?

I purchased an iPhone 5 for my little brother recently from a thrift store in fortcollins CO and after i charged it i tried to set it up for him and got a message that it was activation locked and i cant unlock it or have anyway to contact the owner can anyone help me

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 5

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 7:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 11, 2022 7:44 PM

If you can't reach the previous owner whose ID is on the device and have them go to https://www.icloud.com/find/, erase the device, then remove it from their account, then the device is useless. Apple won't unlock it.

Turn off Activation Lock - Apple Support.  *

3 replies

Oct 11, 2022 8:14 PM in response to CVM_R0CK3T

CVM_R0CK3T Said:

"HOW DO I GET RID OF AN ACTIVATION LOCK AFTER I PURCHASED A DEVICE FROM A THRIFT STORE"

-------

Officially, you've Been Scammed:

Intentional or not, you've been scammed. So, return this. This is the site the seller should have used prior to selling it to you: What to do before you Sell, Give Away, or Trade in your Mac - Apple Support. The store's staff should have known better.

How to remove iPhone's activation lock?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.