You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a keyboard shortcut for dictation in Numbers?

Hello friends,

I've been trying to use the dictation feature in Numbers to dictate text into a cell. However, to do this one must use the Edit -> Start Dictation every time. This is a very laborious and very time consuming. I've tried FnFn but it doesn't work. In fact even Edit-> Start Dictation doesn't work once you try FnFn which leads to nowhere!

Most times you get that sigle chime that indicates some kind of error and can no longer dictate anything! I close the Spread sheet, re-create it, still Edit-> Start dictation not working. Strange!

Anyhow, is there a way of association FnFn with the dictation feature in Numbers?

Thank you for your feedback.

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 7:30 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 7:38 AM

Numbers on my Mac says to hit Control twice, not fn twice. I have not enabled dictation so I don't know if that works or not.

You can assign a keyboard shortcut to any menu item (I assume any/all but cannot guarantee that is true)

1. System Preferences->Keyboard->Shortcuts->App Shortcuts
  2. Hit the +
  3. I assume you want it to apply to "all applications". Or you can limit it to Numbers
  4. You need to type the menu item exactly as it appears in the menu. Punctuation and capitalization matter.
  5. Give it a key combination
  6. Click on Add
2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 13, 2022 7:38 AM in response to mac_naashenaas

Numbers on my Mac says to hit Control twice, not fn twice. I have not enabled dictation so I don't know if that works or not.

You can assign a keyboard shortcut to any menu item (I assume any/all but cannot guarantee that is true)

1. System Preferences->Keyboard->Shortcuts->App Shortcuts
  2. Hit the +
  3. I assume you want it to apply to "all applications". Or you can limit it to Numbers
  4. You need to type the menu item exactly as it appears in the menu. Punctuation and capitalization matter.
  5. Give it a key combination
  6. Click on Add

Is there a keyboard shortcut for dictation in Numbers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.