You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monteray cannot play PNG movies!?

I have a massive Photos library of green screen effects I've been collecting for years. I'm not a pro - I just enjoy making fun movies with my kids, etc. After updating to Monteray however, the majority of .mov files will not open in Quicktime or in iMovie! I can play them in VLC, but if I want to use them in iMovie that doesn't help me. I compared the ones that do work with the ones that won't, and it seems that if they are JPEG movies, they're okay - but PNG videos will not work. I feel sick about this.

I went back to an older MacBook Pro and they worked fine in QuickLook, but I did notice that opening them in QuickTime (or iMovie) actually converted them to a prores format. Why can't they be converted by the newer QuickTime? Is Apple making it LESS capable? I don't understand why they would do that. These were all free clips found on various websites that I'm assuming use png for a transparent background. Handbrake won't convert to ProRes. I don't know how I'm going to be able to use my thousands of video clips anymore if I can't batch convert them. It seems like a pretty ubiquitous format, so I don't understand why Apple doesn't support it...nor why there aren't tons of people complaining about this...

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 2:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 11:36 PM

Up to macOS 10.14 Mojave QuickTime Player nagged and automatically offered to convert old obsolete codecs. But no more.

I converted such old movies (.dv etc) with MPEG Streamclip and later with ffmpeg to new H.264/265 AAC movies.

ProRes files are quite large but you might try to convert to ProRes with a command like (you can make a batch command if this works):

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c:v prores_ks -profile:v 3 -timecode 00:00:00:00 -c:a pcm_s16le output.mov

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 13, 2022 11:36 PM in response to Th3Cr0w

Up to macOS 10.14 Mojave QuickTime Player nagged and automatically offered to convert old obsolete codecs. But no more.

I converted such old movies (.dv etc) with MPEG Streamclip and later with ffmpeg to new H.264/265 AAC movies.

ProRes files are quite large but you might try to convert to ProRes with a command like (you can make a batch command if this works):

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c:v prores_ks -profile:v 3 -timecode 00:00:00:00 -c:a pcm_s16le output.mov

Oct 17, 2022 9:55 PM in response to Matti Haveri

Thanks so much for your reply - I really appreciate it!

I'll try the code - thanks again. Indeed, I madly converted videos from old codecs, too - but I never got any notice about these videos. They've all been tagged, categorized, etc. in a Photos Library - took me forever to do, but I was so happy. Now I'll have to convert every video, losing all the work I put into organizing them. *sigh*. These aren't really old videos, and they were all in a QuickTime .mov wrapper; I wish Apple could've made this less painful. From my POV - and I'm a heavy, knowledgeable Mac user - this was very abrupt and surprising. I didn't see it coming at all.

Oct 18, 2022 12:16 AM in response to Th3Cr0w

> They've all been tagged, categorized, etc. in a Photos Library - took me forever to do

If you have added much metadata in Photos.app, you can export it in a .xmp sidecar and use 3rd party tools like exiftool or GraphicConverter to insert it to the original files.

If you can convert and re-encode the original movies to a new codec, you might want to copy the metadata to the new movies by copying it either from the .xmp or the original movies with exiftool, for example something like:

Copy all from .mov to a same name .m4v in the same folder and set file dates:

exiftool -TagsFromFile '%-.0f.mov' -All:All *.m4v -execute '-FileCreateDate<QuickTime:CreateDate' '-FileModifyDate<QuickTime:CreateDate' -common_args -m -P -overwrite_original_in_place .

Monteray cannot play PNG movies!?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.