You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

E-mails marked as read when my colleague reads them

Hello everyone,

we are using apple Mail for pur general business email, which has been working great until recently. So the problem is, that when a new email arrives and my colleague reads it first, it will no longer be shown as new or unread on my account. We do not share an apple account or something like that so it shouldn't by synced in any way. How do we change this back to emails just being categorized as unread for every single ready until that person has actually seen the email?

Thanks already for your ideas.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 1:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2022 8:10 AM

Not possible for your colleague to read an account's emails if they do not access the account. Once an email is read, regardless who reads it initially, it is marked as read. Remove access to the email account by this other person. Or, create a rule to forward the email to this other person's account where they can read it without changing its read status in your account.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 14, 2022 8:10 AM in response to Hanna_vP

Not possible for your colleague to read an account's emails if they do not access the account. Once an email is read, regardless who reads it initially, it is marked as read. Remove access to the email account by this other person. Or, create a rule to forward the email to this other person's account where they can read it without changing its read status in your account.

Oct 14, 2022 3:10 AM in response to Hanna_vP

Q - " So the problem is, that when a new email arrives and my colleague reads it first, it will no longer be shown as new or unread on my account. We do not share an apple account or something like that so it shouldn't by synced in any way "

A - How would that even work if the account are not Shared ?

A - When I send a e-mail to a friend or colleague there is not way my Apple Account with iCloud could access the Recipients e-mail Servers on say, Bell Canada

E-mails marked as read when my colleague reads them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.