You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Support - ??

I purchased a macbook air m2 on September 12. An errant old, old, apple id was installed when I setup the new computer using time machine. Of course this apple id no longer exists and because of that I am unable to sign in to my current apple id and sync, backup, etc across my other apple products. I notified apple support and since have spoken with 4 support persons. I have supplied all the information (photos, recordings requested by apple.) The last support person I spoke with has informed me that it could be weeks or months until this issue was resolved. He said the case was sent to programming. I find this lack of support totally unacceptable and am wondering if anyone out there as any suggestions regarding what I should do, who I might contact, etc. I am at a loss. If anyone can help please let me know. Thanks.

MacBook Air, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 16, 2022 1:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2022 11:43 AM

Erase the hard drive and reinstall Mac OS Erase and reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Set up your MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Sign up with your own Apple ID and password see the articles How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Support

Similar questions

10 replies

Oct 19, 2022 12:53 AM in response to Jan Marsh

The old Apple ID that was created in 2007 its a simple mail address when not signed in the Mac , did you checked the status using the this link from a web browser https://iforgot.apple.com/appleid#!&section=appleid

If all credentials are correctly entered a green check mark will appear account is verified , for time machine troubleshooting see this article Time Machine troubleshooting on Mac - Apple Support

Oct 20, 2022 9:30 AM in response to Jan Marsh

When apple id is changed from appleid.apple.com to new one the old iCloud data remains with old account , the new Apple ID that will be signed in and will have its own iCloud data that will sync , by turning on basic inbuilt features , when you are using iCloud Drive , desktops and documents box is checked , you don't need to save icloud data on an external hard drive , time machine backs up complete Mac data Other ways to back up and restore files - Apple Support

Oct 17, 2022 1:11 PM in response to tygb

Thanks for your reply. That was my first reaction. But, the apple support persons told me I shouldn't do that! Of course, no reason was given; just we don't recommend doing that. So, I was hesitant to do that. And part of the reason - if I use a backup on time machine wouldn't there be a chance of the same thing happening? I can't figure out the reason for apple's non-recommendation, since "factory settings" and reinstall seems to be their go-to. Thanks again. Any further encouragement would be great!!

Oct 18, 2022 12:43 PM in response to tygb

I appreciate your input. That account was my account when I had a MacBook in 2007. I haven't had a MacBook since but have had several apple desktops and never a problem with migration from time machine backups. My current apple id worked when I first setup this computer. After a period of sleep I began getting the sign in message with the old apple id. The first apple support person said that's interesting. So, appreciate your comments and spending some time reading about my apple support problem. As apple support has been anything but supportive thanks for your time and thoughts. If you think anything else I might try please let me know. But I'm not going to wait weeks or months for Apple.

Oct 19, 2022 12:46 PM in response to Jan Marsh

I am a month into a support issue (concerning the lack of iMessage syncing across devices via the iCloud) with Apple, complete with the same screen shots, videos and log forwarding to "The Engineers" . My last 2 emails to the support rep who had "taken ownership" of the issue went unreturned. Today a new rep assured me that she had "taken ownership". She the reviewed the month old case and informed me they were aware of the issue and it would be addressed in a future uOS update. That was it. She was finished. No more information would be forthcoming. I would just have to keep my devices up to date and hopeful the best.

the iCloud is a central feature of the Apple universe. It's not working and this is the support you get. I've spent thousands of dollars on Apple hardware, All with Apple Care, and am very dissatisfied with Apple Support.

Kyle

Oct 19, 2022 1:36 PM in response to kjwsr

Thanks. Seems Apple has problems with iCloud. Your challenge is similar and I wonder if the "promised" update will solve everything?? I find that being told that it might be weeks or months for a solution grossly not right and unfair to consumers of Apple products. I too have spent thousands of $$ on Apple hardware. My current "support" person has not answered my email as well. This is the 4th "support" person I've contacted and indeed they all provide the same scripted answers.

Jan

Oct 19, 2022 1:43 PM in response to tygb

Thanks again. I couldn't find any solutions worked on troubleshooting time machine. But I was unable to verify backups on the time machine disk!! My current ID is valid and I discovered my notification email was an old kc.rr.com address! I changed it to a current email address. I really think that this is a local glitch in this computer that somehow, someway occurred in the migration. And might be solved with an erase and restore. Still not sure why apple didn't recommend. Perhaps I have an apple that is a lemon??

Thanks again. And if other thoughts or suggestions please let me know.

Oct 20, 2022 2:00 PM in response to tygb

Thanks for all your input. I have asked apple support about restoring from iCloud with a new apple id. Their reply was I would loose all my data and apple doesn't want that to happen. Also I was informed that the reason the solution (software update) takes so long is a ticket is created and then a certain number of similar situations need to be reported before the problem is resolved. Don't if that 6, 12, 50 or 100 similar reports. I'm going to wait a few more weeks.

I don't what else I can do right now but wait.

Thanks again.

Jan

Support - ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.