You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Applications folders

Hi friends!

I know that there are two Applications folders:

No 1-the Applications folder that is situated at HD level ... that is ... Macintosh HD > Applications (all my applications are in this folder and are available for every user)

No 2-the application folder that is situated in the User folder ... that is ... Macintosh HD>Users>(Myhome)>Applications (If I want that nobody else could use a particular application, I'll put this application in this folder ... well anyway I never used this folder and actually it is empty)

However today I found another Applications folder by chance.

No 3-This folder is situated here ... Macintosh HD>System>Applications. In this folder I can find the applications bundled with MacOs. OK. No problem.

Nevertheless I find the same applications in the Applications folder No 1. If I use the information window for the Preview app (for instance) situated in the folder No 1, the information window says that this app is in the folder No 3 (not in the folder No1) and this happens with all the "Apple" Applications.

I thought that I found a sort of alias files, but these files show a "size", ... the same size in folder No 1 and in Folder No 3, and I must presume that they are occupying space on my HDD. On the other hand may these apps be a sort of an hard link which is different from an alias, but can it show a size without actually occupying any space? I don't think so.

All in all two questions:

Can anybody explain what I described?

May I remove the No 3 folder? and -as I believe I can't- why not?

Thanks

Alberto

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Oct 17, 2022 12:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2022 12:51 PM

FWIW, the short answer is the applications are just "listed" in three locations. They do not occupy more space.

Similar questions

2 replies

Applications folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.