You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air (M2, 2022) problem with connecting to external display systems using USB C

Hi all,

I'm having some issues with MacBook Air (M2, 2022) not being able to connect properly using the USB C-cable for our Yealink Teams rooms. No other Macs that we've tried so far have this issue, but the three different MacBook Air (M2, 2022) running macOS 12.6.0 have this issue. The screen will "blink" or seem as if it's detecting the screen but then occasionally just blinks. Eventually/sometimes it does work however but I've no idea why. Even when it doesn't work, if quick you can see the Yealink-system listed as a display in System Settings.

Has anyone had/experienced similar issues? I will also check on the Yealink side if there are any updates or similar that remedies this issue.

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro Apple Silicon

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 5:14 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 18, 2022 6:35 AM in response to Jonilj

What video protocol does the system use? The USB-C ports on a Mac can send DisplayPort and Thunderbolt video. macOS does not natively send video over USB. If Yealink is a USB video system, then you would need an extension from them to make it work. Out of the box, an Apple Silicon Mac will not load legacy third-party system extensions.

If that system uses a legacy system extension, you have to reduce security on the M2 Macs in order to load it: Startup Disk security policy control for a Mac with Apple silicon - Apple Support

However, I don't see anything on their site which even hints at support for macOS. The diagrams show "USB audio and video" so it makes me think it is sending video over USB, not a normal video protocol. DisplayLink makes software to connect USB video, but I don't know if it works on Apple Silicon (or Monterey in general).

Oct 18, 2022 7:59 AM in response to Jonilj

I have noted that sometimes display manufacturers have USB-C like ports on the back of their display, when in fact they are thunderbolt ports. Do not use standard USB-C cables used for simple data transfer between Android and Mac. You need USB-C cables with the lightning icon on the tips, which carry video and data and power. Some only carry data and power and do not have the lightning bolt logo on their connector. http://www.macsales.com/ sells such cables if you lost the one supplied by the monitor vendor.

MacBook Air (M2, 2022) problem with connecting to external display systems using USB C

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.