You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Unknown error" while transferring photos

So, I try to transfer my photos from Photo app to file in the desktop or external hard drive. Most of the time when I take for example 20 photos and try to put them into a file, there comes a note:

That's finnish but it says:

Export completed in error

0/1 photos transferred

The export function failed to create the file for the image below

File names Errors

(the file name) "Unknown error"

And I should transfer about 10GB pictures, videos and documents so I can download Word into my Mac to do school stuff and update my Mac. So I can't do anything right now. Help!

If needed :

Version 11.3.1Big sur

Size 2,60/121GB

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 5:03 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 20, 2022 8:31 AM in response to spikeydoll

Hello spikeydoll,

Have you had a chance to update the macOS to the current version of Big Sur? If not, we'd recommend testing that out first. Here's how: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support

What happens if you select another folder (not the Desktop or external drive)? For example, are you able to save them to the Pictures folder on the Mac? Do you use iCloud Drive? If so, are you syncing Desktop & Documents? That might give us more information on what's going on.

What occurs if you select less content to export from the Photos app? Are you able to export a photo at a time successfully? These answers will help us to isolate the behavior further.

Hoping to hear back, take care.

Oct 21, 2022 6:23 AM in response to spikeydoll

Hey spikeydoll,

That was a good idea to increase storage space. Have you also tried exporting in safe mode? Sometimes safe mode resolves issues related to specific apps. Be aware that internet access is limited in safe mode. After testing in safe mode, restart normally and test once more as sometimes just starting in safe mode, then restarting, can resolve some issues: How to use safe mode on your Mac.

Keep us updated.

Oct 21, 2022 12:31 AM in response to destiny241

Thank you for answering!

• Yes, I deleted almost everything (except photos and videos) from my Mac that I could update it, because the update was so huge. So now I have this Monterey
  • It's no matter which is the folder, I tried to move them from Photos-app to a new empty folder in the iCloud folder (had to make new one, I don't have Photos folder there anymore) but always the same error
  • Yes, I use iCloud drive, and if you mean syncing desktop & documents, yes they are clicked on in my iCloud drive options
  • It's no matter is there only one photo I try to move or 100, the same problem.

Weird is, that before I could just restart my computer and continue moving the pictures. And sometimes I did something else, and after that the pictures moved without problems. Now they don't move at all. My friend said could the problem be that my computer is so full. Now I have 56Gt because I deleted everything so everything could work. But it didn't help. I need my photos to external drive so they can be safe

"Unknown error" while transferring photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.