You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro not working unless screen is tilted 20 degrees

Hello Apple Support

A couple of days ago, my Macbook Pro 2018 started acting very strange. After several days of mostly black screen, I managed now and again to have few steady moments. Within these moments I managed to reset NVRAM, SMC, disable dark mode + true tone and automatic graphic switching. I also drained the battery completely and ran diagnostics, that didn’t show anything unusual. 

Lately the Macbook’s been malfunctioning in the same manor: If the screen is tilted up in a 90 degree angle, it won’t work - if it isn’t black, it’s a screen freeze (I can’t move the cursor nor use the keyboard). However, if the screen is at a 20 degree angle (right before standby-mode), I can most of times manage to login.

Therefore I can only operate my Macbook with an external monitor. Once I’m logged in, this works flawlessly. But it’s a pain in the ***.

Any suggestions to how I fix this problem?

Sincerely

Sam

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 6:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2022 9:27 AM

Contact Apple to get it fixed: Get Support

Similar questions

3 replies

Macbook Pro not working unless screen is tilted 20 degrees

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.