You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can’t I turn the dynamic buttons off?

Every single time I turn my iPad the rotation automatically changes (just like I want it) but the volume buttons change directions. When vertically, the top one works as + and the bottom one as -.

You would think that when rotated they stay the same, but no. When I rotate my iPad the button on the left is now - and the one on the right +. I have tried to change this but can’t find a way to. I even looked up how to buy it just doesn’t work on my iPad cause the option’s not even there.

iPad Air, iPadOS 15

Posted on Oct 19, 2022 5:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 10:15 AM

Dynamic volume controls were introduced with release of iPadOS 15.4 onwards. For reasons known only to Apple, the ability to either enable or disable this feature is not available for the iPad Air5 and iPad mini6.

Use the Home, side, and other buttons on your iPad - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 26, 2022 8:20 PM in response to Reginarodzr

I just got the new M2 iPad Pro 12.9’ and it updated to iPadOS 16.1 when setting it up and the volume buttons are opposite to how they were on previous models in landscape and the option is not present in Settings, Sounds.

My previous M1 iPad Pro 12.9” had volume buttons that in landscape raised (left) and lowered (right). There was in option in 15.4 and later that swapped their behavior.

Oct 27, 2022 6:28 AM in response to StadiaJohn

With release of iPadOS15.4, dynamic volume controls were added as a feature for existing models of iPad capable of supporting this feature. The feature could be optionally enabled (or subsequently disabled) if desired from iPad settings.

New models of iPad launched to market after release of iPadOS 15.4 (iPads Air5, mini6) had this feature “baked-in” to the User Interface (UI) - with no ability to disable the dynamic controls. The 2022 11” and 12.9” iPads Pro and the iPad10 are the first new models of iPad to launch since introduction of this feature. It is therefore feasible to presume that dynamic controls are similarly a standard element of the physical UI of these new models.

Apple have not updated their documentation to indicate that the 2022 iPads Pro and/or iPad10 are similar in implementation within the iPad Air5 and mini6. Hopefully Apple’s documentation will provide needed clarity in due course.

Nov 6, 2022 5:35 AM in response to LotusPilot

Are you guys listening close enough? The newer Apple generations don’t have the ability to change them please stop coming in with newer and newer generations Apple did it for reasons known only to Apple introduced dynamic buttons in iOS, and iPadOS 15.4 compliments to LotusPilot for this information. Of course if not available on the iPad Air it’s not going to available on the newest iPad Pro. Sorry if that sounded mean I didn’t mean it that way

Why can’t I turn the dynamic buttons off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.