You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I upgrade to macOS Ventura from macOS Monterey 12.6 through recovery mode?

hello I have a question. Sam currently on M1 mini with Monterey 12.6 and Sam planning to install Ventura 13 on release day. Can I clean install Ventura 13 on release day through recovery mode or I must first upgrade through Monterey system preferences -> software update and then it will be available on recovery for clean install?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 5:50 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 6:22 AM

I believe recovery mode will always install the macOS version that shipped with the machine. What you would need to do is download but not install the Ventura installer and then create a bootable installer disc. After that you can erase your system, boot from the install disc and proceed from there. Of course you should have complete back-ups of your data first.

But the bigger question is why do a ‘clean’ install at all? Clean installs are from ancient times when left over files often caused trouble. macOS is much better able to ignore things like that. In my own personal case I started with a 2008 iMac, used Migration Assistant to move to a 2013 iMac, and then used Migration Assistant once more to move to a Mac Studio Max with no issues at all, and no clear installs ever.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 20, 2022 6:22 AM in response to H44X

I believe recovery mode will always install the macOS version that shipped with the machine. What you would need to do is download but not install the Ventura installer and then create a bootable installer disc. After that you can erase your system, boot from the install disc and proceed from there. Of course you should have complete back-ups of your data first.

But the bigger question is why do a ‘clean’ install at all? Clean installs are from ancient times when left over files often caused trouble. macOS is much better able to ignore things like that. In my own personal case I started with a 2008 iMac, used Migration Assistant to move to a 2013 iMac, and then used Migration Assistant once more to move to a Mac Studio Max with no issues at all, and no clear installs ever.

Oct 20, 2022 6:32 AM in response to H44X

By Clean Installation - does the user intend to Wipe the Whole Drive and Install Ventura from an External Drive ?

How was the the user intending to do this ?

Apple Silicon M1 / M2 computers do not function the same way as back in the good old days of Intel based computers .

Extra Special Notation regarding the Touch ID equipped Apple Computer. About Startup Security Utility and Must Enable from Recovery Mode the ability to boot from External Drive Before Attempting 

Oct 20, 2022 6:35 AM in response to H44X

H44X wrote:

thank you for your answer lkrupp. I just wondering if its possible to do it over the air through recovery.

I want to perform a clean install just to refresh it.

Doing it Recovery Mode, if it will work, over Internet Connection may effectively upGrade the computer Over the Existing installation of Monterey 12.6

Can I upgrade to macOS Ventura from macOS Monterey 12.6 through recovery mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.