You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I wipe a MacBook Air running Mojave even if I don't know the Apple ID password?

I am helping a relative who has a MacBook Air 2017 running Mojave. Long story short, while she has her login password, unfortunately the MBA is signed into an Apple ID for which she does not have the password, nor the ability to reset the password (email address or answers to security questions). Since she does not have the Apple ID password, she cannot sign out of iCloud. Also, Find My Mac is activated :(

The system is backed up, so at this point my plan is to just wipe it and upgrade to Monterey, and restore her data from Time Machine backup (which is working fine). However, I was worried that Find My Mac might cause problems, due to macOS Activation Lock, since I know that's a major issue for iOS devices. But reading the Activation Lock for Mac article, it sounds like we're in luck: it requires both macOS Catalina or later, and a Mac with T2 chip or Apple Silicon, neither of which are true in this case.

Can anyone confirm that I'm clear to wipe the system to eliminate the Apple ID problem? Her Mac is mostly functional except for iCloud services, so if I wipe it and get prompted for the Apple ID password then that would actually be a worse outcome than the status quo.

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 20, 2022 7:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 21, 2022 7:47 AM

Well, if the Account is locked and the Owner has not or can not go through the Process to Unlock the account - logic would seem to imply the Owner of that Account would not be able to Apply an Activation Lock - do we agree ?

So proceed to Wipe the Drive to Zero and install the newer version of macOS it Qualifies to run.

Just be sure at Setup to Use the Actually User Account information instead.

As for Restoring via the Backup Drive - caution.

Whatever Issues, at the time the TM Back as made, can be re-introduced back into the Pristine and Virginal installation that has just been done.

Personal Files and such OK anything else - suggest not.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 21, 2022 7:47 AM in response to Robert Brewer2

Well, if the Account is locked and the Owner has not or can not go through the Process to Unlock the account - logic would seem to imply the Owner of that Account would not be able to Apply an Activation Lock - do we agree ?

So proceed to Wipe the Drive to Zero and install the newer version of macOS it Qualifies to run.

Just be sure at Setup to Use the Actually User Account information instead.

As for Restoring via the Backup Drive - caution.

Whatever Issues, at the time the TM Back as made, can be re-introduced back into the Pristine and Virginal installation that has just been done.

Personal Files and such OK anything else - suggest not.

Can I wipe a MacBook Air running Mojave even if I don't know the Apple ID password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.