You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updrading a 2013 MacBook pro retina from Yosemite to a newer OS X version fails

I both downloaded and tried to install El Capitan and Sierra and followed the installation instructions via How to download macOS - Apple Support

In both cases I did not get any error messages while downloading and installing. But after a very and probably too fast fast installation, a successful installation message appeared. But the macbook, even after a reboot was still running Yosemite.

The MacBook is a MacBook Pro 2013 with a retina screen and has 4GB RAM. Why isn't it upgrading and what can or should I do to upgrade it? I hope someone can give me a helpful tip. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Oct 22, 2022 9:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2022 5:26 AM

jwkijne wrote:

In both cases I did not get any error messages while downloading and installing. But after a very and probably too fast fast installation, a successful installation message appeared. But the macbook, even after a reboot was still running Yosemite.

If you downloaded the full installer— see if it is sitting in your Applications folder:

"Install macOS El Capitan.app"

Try a Safeboot and launch the installer from there like any other application.

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS

If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 23, 2022 5:26 AM in response to jwkijne

jwkijne wrote:

If you downloaded the full installer— see if it is sitting in your Applications folder:

"Install macOS El Capitan.app"

Try a Safeboot and launch the installer from there like any other application.

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS

If an error occurred while updating or installing macOS - Apple Support

Updrading a 2013 MacBook pro retina from Yosemite to a newer OS X version fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.