You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to save movie as .mp4 instead of .movpkg

I recently purchased movies and when I saved them, they downloaded in the ".movpkg" format instead of a MP4 as I am used to downloading. I have a large library of movies and have saved them on an external drive to save space on my computer and to be able to watch them offline. The ".movpkg" format does not work with my prior use of my purchased movies. I have been trying to find a way to save my new movies in the standard ".mp4" files. The prior workaround

I attempted to follow the existing answer on this issue in Huffman1132 Q (Jan 17, 2020), answer by kslksl (Feb 18, 2020):

"I just finally figured this out as I was facing the same issue and movies downloaded on our mac computer would not play on our Apple TV.

I went to TV app > Preferences > Playback and made sure both "Download Multichannel Audio" and "Download HDR when available" were unchecked. When I restarted the movie download it came down as an m4v file."

However, with the new version of Monterey, these preferences are no longer available. What can I do now?

Posted on Oct 22, 2022 9:31 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Oct 22, 2022 10:35 AM in response to Radlytpa1

HLS (.movpkg) is unfortunately not supported for Home Sharing at this time. You can give feedback to Apple that users want this for their iTunes Store downloads. It does not appear to be an Apple TV issue per se: Home Sharing to iPhone or iPad also doesn’t list these HLS downloads: I believe it is already excluded for Home Sharing on the Mac.

Previously (in macOS Catalina 10.15) users could de-select HDR, and select Most Compatible, and simplify the audio options, to force M4V file downloads. That former option (HDR) is no longer available in Big Sur or Monterey. You can give feedback to Apple that Home Sharing users want M4V download options.

Also see:

discussions.apple.com/thread/254270416

discussions.apple.com/thread/254277354

How to save movie as .mp4 instead of .movpkg

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.