You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flexgate

I have a 15 inches 2017 MacBook Pro, with the display going blank when the lid is opened above 45 degree.

Went to Apple store: $650 for the repair. Chatted with a representative: same. Spoke with his supervisor: same thing.

This is really unfair.

The cable is crumbling because it is too short. It is too short because of a design flaw.

Apple should stay behind its customers. But it's not.

Anyone has a better recent experience on this issue?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 12:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 12:57 PM

This is not "something on the Internet", but 15K people having the issue.

As in my note, I already checked Apple support in all their forms: the store, the chat and a live person.

I would be OK to pay for the repair if this would not be related to a design flaw.

7 replies

Oct 24, 2022 12:51 PM in response to timeitself

Here is the list of current Apple Service Programs in effect.

Apple Service Programs - Apple Support

There is a program for the 2015-2017 15” MacBook Pro battery but nothing describing issue the you are referring to. You say the cable is crumbling because it is too short because of a design flaw? Unless you have disassembled your MAcBook how would you know that? Did you read it on the internet? Reading something on the internet does not make it a fact.

Your machine is out of warranty and you have been quoted a price for repair. If you disagree then try calling Apple Support to see if you can get further help.

Oct 24, 2022 3:33 PM in response to timeitself

None of us here are Apple employees so we do not have to accept to your claims. There WAS a program for this issue regarding the 13 inch MacBook Pro, NOT the 15 inch model. This is where the ‘Flexgate' term originated. Get your facts straight. Your 15 inch MacBook Pro is not eligible for this repair.

13-inch MacBook Pro Display Backlight Service Program - Apple Support

And from that repair program:

Eligible Models

To identify your computer's model and to see if it is eligible for this program, choose Apple () menu > About This Mac. Eligible models are listed below.

• MacBook Pro (13-­inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports)
  • MacBook Pro (13-­inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports)

Note: No other Mac notebook models are part of this program.

Flexgate

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.