You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why can't non-MAC users open Pages?

Why can't non-MAC users open Pages?

Every Pages document I create has to be exported to either PDF or Word for anyone to read. This is a hassle for many reasons, not the least of which is if I make an edit, I have to re-export my document.

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 8:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 8:21 AM

Because Apple does not offer a Pages application for platforms other than macOS, iCloud, iOS, or iPadOS, and one must use the Pages application on Apple platforms to open a Pages document. Nothing else on the planet can open these Pages documents, and that is why you send Word or PDF documents to non-Mac users.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 26, 2022 8:21 AM in response to sbeddo

Because Apple does not offer a Pages application for platforms other than macOS, iCloud, iOS, or iPadOS, and one must use the Pages application on Apple platforms to open a Pages document. Nothing else on the planet can open these Pages documents, and that is why you send Word or PDF documents to non-Mac users.

Oct 26, 2022 8:16 AM in response to sbeddo

Pages.app is a Mac-only program. However, .pages files can be opened on an iOS device using Pages for iOS or in iWork for iCloud in a web browser for anyone with an Apple ID. Be aware, though, that feature sets are not the same.

If you frequently create documents to be shared with non-Pages users, you will probably be better off using Microsoft Word or a clone such as LibreOffice.

why can't non-MAC users open Pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.