You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS power-detected beep -- how to suppress

Context: When you plug power in to a running Mac laptop, it gives one beep to verify it sees the power. It also gives that same one beep at power-up/start-up if the Mac laptop is plugged in to power. (This is NOT the error indication of multiple beeps sounding if it detects a hardware problem. It is also NOT the chime that occurs when you push the power button to power up a Mac.) I need to mute this because others are sleeping when I start my work and power up my laptop.

Question: Has anyone found a way to suppress the "power is detected" beep? (I'm hoping for a Terminal command to accomplish this. I have a 2019 MacBook Pro. MacOS Monterey now, Ventura very soon.

What doesn't work: I've already unchecked the "Play sound on startup" (and other options) on the Sound preferences window. (And the startup chime does not sound, but "power detected" does.) I've muted the computer (via the keyboard) before shutting it down. And, I've plugged in headphones before shutting the Mac down. (Of course, never turning the laptop off would work, but in my circumstances I need to turn the laptop off at night.) Nothing I've found suppresses the audible "power detected" beep for my Mac laptop.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 8:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 4:39 PM

I'm not aware of any way to mute or disable that sound.

If no one else offers an option, then you could provide Apple with product feedback here (Apple won't respond):

Product Feedback - Apple

Similar questions

1 reply

MacOS power-detected beep -- how to suppress

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.